The Global and Strategic Marketing Research Centre (GLOSMARC) is an established centre of excellence for scholarly research in marketing. The Centre is directed by Professor Constantine Katsikeas, Arnold Ziff Research Chair in Marketing and International Management.
How we work
GLOSMARC involves an active research community of academics at different levels of seniority, postgraduate researchers and international visiting fellows. The work of the Centre draws from a wide range of disciplines to investigate the processes and outcomes of company engagement in international operations and strategic marketing ventures.
Our research projects span various disciplinary areas including: marketing, international business, strategic management, cross-cultural consumer behaviour, and sustainability. We channel ideas and insights from these fields in order to better understand how organisations can derive competitive advantage from their marketing activities and cross-border collaboration.
Our model of operating is based upon teamwork, both amongst academic researchers working on major projects and also between academics and business and public policy decision makers in the co-creation of new ideas that can facilitate knowledge development and exchange. A notable feature of GLOSMARC is the level of co-operation between academics and business managers from all over the world.
- Editorial Boards - GLOSMARC members have senior editorial roles within Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of International Marketing, Industrial Marketing Management, and Journal of Business Research. Also, several members of the centre sit on the editorial review boards of leading academic journals in their fields: Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of International Marketing, International Marketing Review, Journal of Management Studies, British Journal of Management, Management International Review, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Marketing Management, amongst others.
- Academic Conferences and Roles in Major Academic Associations - In addition to presenting papers, GLOSMARC members also chair tracks and deliver keynote speeches at prestigious academic conferences such as ACR (Association of Consumer Research), AMA (American Marketing Association), AMS (Academy of Marketing Science), EMAC (European Marketing Academy Conference).
In June 2018 we were delighted to welcome delegates to the 53rd Annual AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium. The Consortium “The Power of Marketing in a Dynamic Global Economy” offered a forum for sharing ideas and learning that is designed to spark creativity and collaboration.
GLOSMARC organizes the AMA Global Marketing SIG – 2021, Sicily; 2019, Buenos Aires; 2018, Santorini; 2017, Havana.
Illustrative Roles in Major Academic Associations
American Marketing Association - Professors Costas Katsikeas is the Global Marketing SIG Vice-Chair for Awards and Recognitions
American Marketing Association – Professor Leonidas Leonidou is the Global Marketing Conference Liaison
European Marketing Academy – Dr Babis Saridakis is the elected UK National Representative
- Illustrative Awards and Esteem Indicators
Professor Costas Katsikeas has recently won an "Outstanding Editor Award" for his editorial work in Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS).
Professor Costas Katsikeas’s work on assessing performance outcomes in marketing, based on a theory-based performance evaluation framework, with guideposts for performance conceptualisation and operationalization, was finalist for both the AMA Foundation’s Shelby D. Hunt/Harold H. Maynard Award and the Marketing Science Institute/H. Paul Root Award.
Professor Costas Katsikeas was the recipient of the Hans B. Thorelli 5-Year Research Award by the American Marketing Association Foundation for the best article that advances international marketing theory or practice in the Journal of International Marketing; and the S. Tamer Cavusgil Award for the Best Paper that advances the practice of international marketing management, published in the 1999 volume of Journal of International Marketing.
Dr Sourindra Banerjee's research on Indirect Learning—published in Journal of Marketing (2015), was finalist for the Sheth Foundation/Journal of Marketing Award. The award honors the best article published in the Journal of Marketing that has made long-term contributions to the field of marketing.
Dr Magnus Hultman's research on export learning processes—published in Journal of International Marketing (2019), won the S. Tamer Cavusgil Award, which recognizes the JIM article published in the calendar year that has made the most significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of international marketing management.
Dr Aulona Ulqinaku's research on vintage consumption—published in Journal of Consumer Psychology (2017) won the JCP Park Best Paper Award, which recognizes the best paper published in JCP three years prior to date.
Professor Neil Morgan's recent work on marketing strategy won the Sheth Foundation Best Paper Award, which recognises the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science best article published in the preceding year. The article is titled “Research in marketing strategy” and was published in 2019.
Professor Leonidas Leonidou’s research on exporter-importer relationships—published in the Journal of International Marketing (2014) won the Hans B. Thorelli Award, which honors a JIM article published 5+ years ago that has made the most significant and long-term contribution to international marketing theory or practice.
Dr Bill Davvetas' research on global and local brand stereotypes—published in International Marketing Review (2019) won the journal's 2020 Literati Award.
In an international study by Stanford University experts which recognises leading scientists in their fields, Prof. Costas Katsikeas as well as three professors affiliated with GLOSMARC (Neil Morgan, Leonidas Leonidou, Bulent Menguc) were ranked among the Top 140 (Top 2%) marketing scientists worldwide based on career-long citation impact.
Based on analysis of the UT Dallas Journals list, LUBS is ranked 2nd in the UK in terms of publications in the Top 2 Marketing Journals (JM and JMR) during the 2017-2020 period, and 6th in the UK in terms of publications in all Top 4 Marketing Journals of the UT Dallas list (JM, JMR, JCR, MARKSCI) during the 2014-2020 period.
- Marketing Research Camp - Annually GLOSMARC and the Marekting Division at Leeds University Business School hold its annual Research Camp in June/July. During the two-day research gathering over 100 delegates come together to attend presentations, workshops and panel discussions to exchange ideas with leading scholars in the field of marketing. Our keynote speakers, all of whom are involved as editors and associate editors in top marketing journals, deliver a fascinating talk on current and future marketing trends, challenges and innovation.
GLOSMARC members are actively involved in a whole host of major research projects. Indicative projects include:
- External and internal factors influencing global marketing strategies and performance outcomes
- Drivers of successful export market ventures
- Building effective trust-based international buyer–seller relationships
- Establishing and managing international strategic alliances
- Developing sustainable, green marketing strategies
- The impact of country-of-origin on consumer behaviour and marketing practices
- Resources and capabilities shaping positional advantages and performance
- Consumers’ knowledge of pricing strategies in cross-border retail expansion
- New product development processes in Chinese entrepreneurial ventures
- Determinants and performance consequences of supply chain integration