To give you an idea of the diversity of our community and the breadth of research study currently taking place in the Business School we have listed some of our current postgraduate researchers and their working research areas below.
- Accounting and Finance
- The Impact of Board Composition on Firms' Financial Performance & the Magnitude of Opportunistic Earnings Management: Evidence from Kuwait.
- Small and Medium-sized Enterprises in China:Capital Market Development and the Effects on Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions.
- Corporate Governance of Banks
- Momentum profits, market volatility, volatility and skewness.
- The Drivers and barriers of carbon accounting in emerging economics -cases from China , Russia, and India.
- Audit market concentration, auditor switching and audit fee pricing: An investigation of the UK private company audit market, 2005-2012.
- Historical analysis of financial statement fraud in UK and the way forward.
- Influences of Corporate Governance on Mergers & Acquisitions: Acquisitiveness, Pricing and performance Effects
- What drives the priority structure of bank capital? The case of subordinated debt
- The relationship between corporate governance and corporate audit fees: the case of an emerging economy.
- Mutual fund flows and performance: Connectedness, profitability, and trading strategies
- CEO succession in large U.S. listed banks: Do successor characteristics matter?
- Financial markets: Bubbles, contagion and liquidity.
- Essays on the effects of fiscal policy.
- The Theory of the Monetary Circuit in a Financialised Economy.
- Fiscal policy and stock-flow consistent modelling.
- Financial Constraints, Investment and Export Participation: A North American Analysis.
- Understanding the housing market: Evidence from sub- regional data in the United Kingdom.
- Linkage between Financial and Real Sector: Macro and Micro Evidence from an Emerging Country.
- The effects of corruption and access to finance in eveloping and transition economies on firm-level productivity.
- Household Financialisation and Well-being.
- Currency internationalisation and monetary policy: Determinants and implications for developing countries.
- Determinants of financial capability and its impact on life satisfaction: Evidence from British Households.
- German hegemony: A sustainable solution - or a contributing factor - to economic and political instability in the Eurozone?
Albertus Kurniadi Hendartono
- Financialisation and financial fragility: A study on the implementation of financial development and liberalization in Indonesia.
- Pathways to an equitable post-growth economy.
- Economic and financial bubbles: Definition, theory and recent history.
Jose Lima Velazquez
- Microeconomic development: An investigation on labour markets and middle classes.
- How African Central Banks' Reserves managers respond to monetary policy decisions in advanced economies.
Danielle Oliveira Santanna
- The untold story of financial exclusion in Brazil: An institutional approach to the origins, determinants and nature of financial practices in low income communities.
- Empirical investigation of the relationship between the rate of non-residential fixed capital in advanced capitalist economies and international integration from 1970-2007: A case of some OECD countries.
- Decision-making, uncertainty, and gender in financial markets: An interdisciplinary approach.
- Towards a heterodox theory of the environment. Building bridges between heterodox and ecological economics.
- An alternative framework of central banking from a post-Keynesian perspective; case study: The role of the European Central Bank in the Eurozone crisis.
- Using mobile-gathered longitudinal data to determine whether socialising drives consumption across different social groups.
- Theoretical and Empirical Investigation of Innovation Based Growth in Europe Using NIS Approach.
- The relationship between the structure and conduct of monetary policy, convergence and growth: The case of the Economic and Monetary Union.
- Capital flows and the European financial crisis.
- Essays on monetary policy and monetary integration in sub- Saharan Africa.
- International Business
- The influence of multiple embeddedness of subsidiary innovation performance.
Ibharojie Lilian Anegbe
- The impact of sequence and timing on the performance of serial acquirers.
- Returnee and non-returnee entrepreneur's capital(s) and their impact on entrepreneurial firm's performance.
- Building a theoretical rationale between Multinationality and Performance: A multidimensional
- Goals, personality traits and socially responsible consumption.
- Performance outcomes of unified board leadership structures in international joint ventures
- The analysis of herd behavior of Chinese firms in international investment.
- The effects of state owned company characteristics on international joint venture performance in the Chinese automotive industry.
- Comparison of mobile apps development processes in SMEs.
- Working lives of management consultants.
- Capabilities to mitigate disruptions from natural disasters.
- The role of knowledge sharing in small and medium sized enterprises in developing economies.
- The effect of social media use on inter-organizational relationships in Kuwaiti SMEs.
Sofia Angelidou (Stanbridge Scholar)
- Do recombinant capabilities build architectural knowledge in smart city settings? An empirical examination of the emerging industry architectures.
- The application of collaborative information sharing and use in complex organisations with extended networks.
- Omni channel retail strategy in SMEs.
- “Generation Me”: Understanding the Careers and Work Values of Generation Y
- A tri-country multiple case study of the role of information sources for the critical moments of decision-making on funding for early stage, high-tech academic spin-offs by venture capitalists.
- Information sharing and intergenerational difference: A case of Millennials and Gen Z in Thailand's SME's.
- Pro-environmental behaviour change in the workplace: Encouraging employee conservation behaviour.
- Understanding crowd behaviours: developing a systems framework for analysing crowd events.
- Perceived justice of technology use in performance appraisal systems in the UK service sector.
- Capturing expert knowledge - preserving organisational assets and ensuring organisational learning.
- Constructing a job: antecedents and outcomes of employee job crafting.
- Smart cities as a socio-technical system of activity systems: Framing future advances and innovative policing models.
- Means toward congruence.
- Information sharing and decision making: the influence of social media in a policing context.
- Talent management: a gendered approach?
- How does short-term media coverage of extreme weather events impact the long-term media coverage of the global climate change discussion in the UK?
- Why and how do firms adapt and change their approach to innovation management to increase the speed of innovation for sustainable technology?
- The impact of information systems on the role of trust in facilitating de-centralised decision making.
- The formation of new inter-firm relationships: a relational dynamics and suppliers perspective.
- Looking at judgment and decision-making heuristics and biases through the eyes of conceptual metaphor theory.
- Advertising, individual information processing preferences and dual-process theories of decision making.
- The role of social networks in the crafting of jobs and careers.
- Open for business: Investigating category opening and new organizational form emergence in the creative.
- Collaborative information behaviour and decision making in product development.
- Does mindfulness foster social meaning-making and collective identity in the HE workplace?
- Climate change and technology adaptation to support service continuity and flood response and resilience.
- How could policy at local and national level more effectively support the development and growth of migrant enterprise within the UK?
- Drivers for shared leadership in technology innovation development.
- Complex and Open Innovation in Smart and Autonomous Transportation
- Intergroup leadership in mergers and acquisitions.
- The fallacy of balancing knowledge exploration and exploitation: The implications of firm and environment contingencies of performance.
- Understanding information sharing behaviour of millennials in multinational organisations (MNOs).
- How does open, closed and collaborative innovation processes transform supply chain knowledge for achieving operational ambidexterity and multi-dexterity?
- The use of social media in supply chain by SMEs.
- A socio-technical perspective on defining, measuring and improving organisational resilience.
- Improving the productivity of engineering analysts through the management of simulation data.
- Evaluation of Police Mobile Systems.
- Surfing the big wave: Surviving in a complex ecosystem through business model innovation.
- Legitimacy and identity: The social psychology of procedural justice.
- The role of ADHD in entrepreneurship and economic growth.
- Indigenous entrepreneurship among Malay youth: The reality of success.
- The behavioural underpinnings of investor under-reaction and over-reaction investigated using experimental techniques and market data.
- Information behaviour in construction project management teams: contradictions, motivations and influencing factors.
- The impact of organisational context on job crafting behaviour - promoting positive outcomes for the employee and the organisation.
- Open Business Model Innovation for the Networked Society:A Qualitative Study of Collaborative Innovation of Business Models for the Internet of Things.
- Understanding the impact of implementing sustainable procurement; the extent of complexity introduced into the procurement function and how companies build the capabilities needed to overcome this complexity.
- Environmental Issues and challenges of small and Medium enterprises (SMEs) in India and UK.
- Investigating job crafting from a prosocial perspective
- Collaborative Planning in Post-Conflict Environments: A Case Study of Prospective Oil Producing Communities of Borno State, Nigeria.
- Customer satisfaction in social housing.
- A phenomenological inquiry into ICT benefits realisation using Goffman's framing analysis in healthcare.
Lionel Zayeh Kooktapeh
- The role of social media in enhancing innovation in small firms.
Rahida Abdul Rahman
- Antecedents and outcomes of socially responsible marketing strategy: A political economy perspective.
- Can proactive sales teams close the customer engagement gap?
- Nostalgia, generational cohorts, and self-construals
- Drivers, boundary conditions and performance outcomes of competition intensity
- The impact of inter-firm differences on identification with the IJV and parent firms: A faultlines and social identity perspective.
- A model of entrepreneurial opportunity-seeking behaviour and firms' economic performance
- How does diversity across supply chains impact business performance? Roles of supply chain resilience, governance structure and environment munificence.
- Possessing or experiencing: The role of message framing in influencing consumers' responses to access-based consumption
- Speak up and make an impact: Employee voice driven by customer-orientation and empowering leadership and its effects on customer-related organizational outcomes.
- Corporate social responsibility within the multinational enterprise subsidiaries in emerging markets
- The impact of managerial ties on sustainability and financial performance: Evidence from Nigeria.
- Implementation of change: Organisational responsiveness and strategy improvisation.
- The power of mindset: Construal level and adaptation decisions under risk, self-control and ethical judgement.
Joao Pedro Pereira Luzio
- Marketing management and sustainability: The linking role of innovation
- Drivers and outcomes of ethical marketing strategies of exporting firms in India.
- The course of motivation: social context impact and consequences.
Merve Ulku Turgut
- Micro-foundational antecedents and firm-level outcomes of dynamic capabilities in exporting.
- The role of product attribute focused framing on environmental product evaluations: The mediating role of self determination
- A model of relational flexibility: Evidence from professional services firms.
- The usefulness of entrepreneurial passion in driving entrepreneurial venture performance and growth from institutional and socio-psychological perspectives. An empirical study of entrepreneurs in developed (UK) and emerging market (China) settings.
- Work and Employment
- The theory and practice of new public management. A case study of Saudi Arabia with particular reference to the Saudi health sector.
- Institutional and firm responses to the changing nature of apprenticeships in England and Germany
- Workforce localisation and HRM: Private sector responses to Government intervention in Saudi Arabia
- Workplace stress. Is prevention better than cure? Looking at primary organisational interventions.
- Know and tell: Investigating knowledge transfer in the fire service
- The campaign for and impact of the Living Wage in Britain: 2001 to present
- The politics of service-production: Experiences of low- waged hospitality work in twenty-first century Britain.
- Addressing Anonymity and Self-employment in the Regulation of Sex Work Examining Strategies for Integrating Sex Work into the German Labour System.
- Gender and leadership in the British armed forces.
- Gendered Discourse and Female Representation on Corporate Boards: A Critical Discourse Analysis.
- The social mechanics of ADR: A study of ACAS conciliation and arbitration.
- The impact of restructuring, liberalisation and privatization on employment relations in developing economies: A case study of the Nigerian electricity distribution sector.
- A critical examination of diversity and leadership progression in small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- British Pakistani taxi drivers: An insight on class, culture and employment habitus.
- Disability discrimination and the recruitment process: responding to legal and technological developments.
- Employers' HRM response to external economic factors in China.
- Training and development strategies in meeting new skill demand during economic recession.