The Centre for International Business at the University of Leeds (CIBUL) was founded by the distinguished Professor Peter Buckley OBE in 1995. Drawing on the resources of the University of Leeds, CIBUL is the largest international business experts group in the UK, and a pioneer research-led institute in the world. As a University Centre, it has developed strong connections with major public sector bodies and private organisations. It has become a hub for experts from multiple disciplines to collaborate to generate inspiring research and its effective applications to real world problem solving.
Working with public sector bodies
Working alongside major public sector bodies and private companies, such as the European Union, European Space Agency and Nestlé, CIBUL focuses on a range of topics related to international business - from the global determinants and impact of foreign direct investments (FDI), to the internationalisation strategies of firms and countries.
- Professor Annie Wei and co-authors were awarded finalist position for the IM Division CEIBS Best Paper award for their paper, entitled ‘Disentangling the Effects of Business Groups in the Innovation-Export Relationship’ (AOM 2020)
- Nafisat Olabisi received a scholarship from the IM Division to attend the doctoral consortium (AOM 2020)
- Karishma Nagre received her third Best Reviewer award from the IM Division (AOM 2020)
- Professor Hinrich Voss and Dr David Yoon have successfully secured the British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants to study “Drivers and consequences of interdisciplinary research”.
- Dr David Yoon received a Best Reviewer Award from Academy of International Business (AIB 2019) Conference in Copenhagen.
- Professor Peter Buckley was awarded the John H Dunning Prize for Lifetime Achievement by the UK and Ireland Chapter of the Academy of International Business at the 44th UK&I conference at the University of Reading on 6th April 2017.
- Professor Hinrich Voss was invited to an exclusive partner lunch hosted during our much publicised Exporting is GREAT campaign. This was an invitation only lunch with key stakeholders across the Leeds City Region and took place at the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Leeds, Tuesday 23rd February.
- Professor Hinrich Voss was chosen as an Outstanding Reviewer for International Journal of Emerging Markets in the Emerald Literati Network 2014 Awards for Excellence. The Editorial team were asked to select up to 2 reviewers to receive this award and Dr Voss was chosen as to recognize his significant contribution throughout 2013.
- Dr Surender Munjal was nominated to be one of the top five finalists for the AIB Buckley and Casson dissertation award.
- Professor Timothy Devinney won a scholarly impact award for his paper Measuring Organizational Performance: Towards Methodological Best Practice.
- Professor Timothy Devinney was one of the organisers and keynote speakers at the 6th International Conference on CSR in Berlin.
- Professor Timothy Devinney was an International Fellow at BI-Norwegian Business School in February 2014, where he conducted seminars on publishing and a Phd Seminar on Philosophy of Science.
- Professor Peter Buckley was appointed a Fellow of the British Academy July 2014.
- Professor Peter Buckley was elected to a Fellowship of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) October 2014.
- Professor Mario Kafouros and co-authors were awarded the First Class of the Ann Tse Kai Prize for International Trade Research. This has been awarded by the Chinese Association of International Trade Research for the attached JIBS paper on government involvement
- Professor Mario Kafouros and co-authors at the EIBA Conference 2013 in Bremen were awarded the "International Business Review Best Published Paper" for the paper entitled "What drives outward FDI of Chinese firms? Testing the explanatory power of three theoretical frameworks", which appeared in 2012.
- Professor Peter Buckley was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland.
- The University awards the Viipuri prize which Professor Buckley won in 2006. The degree will be awarded in June 2012.
- 2010 Cheung Kong Scholar
Professor Peter Buckley was awarded the Cheung Kong Scholar Chair Professor in the University of International Business and Economics (UIBE), Beijing.
- 2010 Sino British Fellowship Trust Award
Professors Jeremy Clegg and Hinrich Voss were awarded a certificate from the Sino British Fellowship Trust for their research project on "Greenhouse Gas Emision Reductions".
- 2010 Academy of International Business UK (AIB) Ireland Palgrave Award
Mario Kafouros, Jeremy Clegg and Peter Buckley won the Palgrave Award for the best competitive paper. "Exploiting Knowledge Externalities in the Global Economy: The Role of International Depth and Breadth".
- 2010 Academy of International Business UK (AIB) Ireland Neil Hood and Stephen Young prize
Daniella Fjellstrom a CIBUL PhD Student won the Neil Hood and Stephen Young prize for the most original new doctoral work.
- The British Academy of Management (BAM) Best Paper Award in International Business
Dr Mario Kafouros from CIBUL won for his paper "The Determinants of Innovation Performance in China" (co-author: Dr Chengqi Wang).
- Professor Peter Buckley was awarded Academy of Management International Management Division, Booz Allen Hamilton Strategy and Business Eminent Scholar in Management Prize at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting Anaheim, California.
- Andreas Moosdorf, a PhD student in CIBUL, was awarded by the Academy's International Management Division one of five Promissing Dissertation Proposal Awards at the Academy of Management 2008 meeting in Anaheim, California. Thesis title: "The determinants of international knowledge transfer effectiveness' Conceptual advances and empirical verification".
- Andreas Moosdorf, a PhD student in CIBUL, won the first prize at the fourth PhD Students Consortium in International Business Administration at Texas A&M University. Thesis title: "An investigation of the impact of societal and organisational culture on knowledge transfer".
- 2007 The European Academy of International Business (EIBA) Award for the Best Doctoral Thesis Proposal
Nikolaos Papageorgiadis, CIBUL PhD student, was the (joint) winner for the Thesis entitled: "The Effect of International Intellectual Property Rights Protection and Enforcement on International Business : the Case of Licensing".
- 2007 The Neil Hood and Stephen Young Prize for the Most Original New Work
Yi Wang, CIBUL PhD Student, was awarded the prize for the Most Original New Work at the Doctoral Colloquium at the AIB UK & Ireland Annual Conference 2007. Thesis title: "FDI Spillovers in China: Regional Technological Spillovers and Local Competition".
- 2007 First Prize at the Third Annual PhD Students Consortium in International Business Administration
Nikolaos Papageorgiadis, CIBUL PhD student, was awarded first prize, hosted by the Texas A&M International University at Laredo in conjunction with the Tecnologico de Monterrey (ITESM) and the Graduate School of Business Administration and Leadership (EGADE), Mexico. The prize was awarded in recognition of the quality and potential of his doctoral research and for his presentation. Thesis title: "The design of an index to measure the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights".
- 2006 Viipuri Prize for Strategic Management and Business Economics
Professor Peter Buckley was chosen as the third recipient of the Viipuri Prize in Strategic Management and Business Economics, for his "outstanding record in the field of international business research". The annual Viipuri Prize is awarded by the Lappeenranta University of Technology in Finland. Prof. Buckley received the award at a ceremony held there on September 7th 2006. The previous two Viipuri Prize awardees were David Teece from Berkeley University, USA and James March from Stanford University, USA.
- 2004 Michael Z. Brooke Doctoral Prize
Dr Chen Meng was awarded the Michael Z. Brooke prize at the Academy of International Business UK Chapter Conference 2004. Thesis title: "The Evolutionary Entry Strategies of Foreign Banks in China"
- 2003 Gunnar Hedlund Award for best doctoral thesis
Dr Simon Harris was awarded the Institute of International Business Dissertation Award in Memory of Gunnar Hedlund, Stockholm School of Economics. Thesis title: "National Values and Strategy Formation by Business Leaders".
- Business Confucius Institute at the University of Leeds (BCIUL)
Founded by Peter Buckley, BCIUL aims to promote the understanding of Chinese culture and the teaching of Mandarin in the UK with particular focus to supporting the regional businesses that hope to invest in China.
- James E Lynch India and South Asia Business Centre (ISABC)
The ISABC is a university based business centre focusing on the South Asia region, one of the first centre's of its type in the UK.
- White Rose East Asia Centre (WREAC)
WREAC is a partnership between the University of Leeds and the University of Sheffield to promote postgraduate training, research collaboration and knowledge exchange in the study of Japan, China and neighbouring regions. WREAC is funded by the Language based area studies initiative (AHRC/ESRC/HEFCE/SFC) with £4.5m funding (2006-2011).
Research funding and teaching appointments
CIBUL's expansion has been made possible in part by its record of securing ‘research only’ posts funded from outside Leeds University Business School.
Over the past five years, CIBUL has been awarded two Foundation for Management Education (FME) funded Research Officer posts, two University Research Fellowships as well as a further three-year research post, two three-year ESRC Management Research Fellowships and an ESRC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship.
In addition to these research posts, two teaching posts have been funded through competitive applications under Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) initiatives: a Lectureship in Business Development in Emerging Markets (Review of Former Soviet and East European Studies) and a Lectureship in Chinese (Review of Chinese Studies).