PhD, Leeds University, Institute of Communications Studies
MBA, Warwick Business School
BA Politics, Warwick
Chartered Institute of Marketing, Diploma
Before undertaking my recent doctoral studies, I spent 12 years in strategic consulting, latterly with Oliver Wyman, working for media, entertainment and communication clients on a wide variety of strategy and innovation related projects.
Clients included: BBC, Canal+ (France), Channel 4, EMI, IBM, Pearson, Portugal Cable, Rai (Italy), Sony (PlayStation and Networks divisions), Tele Denmark, Vivendi (France), Vodafone (UK and Sweden), Viacom (US- Cable, UK - MTV), Walt Disney (UK – sales, US - Imagineering), Warner Bros (music, video and corporate divisions, US and UK).
Regulatory work included being called as an expert witness to the European Commission in the AOL / EMI / Warner merger case, and ongoing advice to regulators (Ofcom) and leading law firms in the media sector.
Advised private equity and investment banking clients on assessment of new initiatives and ventures in the media and communications sectors.
· Research into the role of intermediaries in the commercialisation of academic research in the sciences. Major methodologies include participant observation, action research and depth interviewing.
· Research into innovation and dynamic capabilities in the creative and cultural industries.
Leeds University Business School
Teaching, assessment and administrative duties on LUBS 5730M (MBA)
Teaching, assessment and administrative duties on LUBS 5712M (MBA)
Teaching, assessment and administrative duties on LUBS 5250 (MSc.)
Teaching, assessment and administrative duties on LUBS 5657M
Teaching, assessment and administrative duties on Mech 5020
Teaching on LUBS 2030
Module leader / teaching
Creative industries management
Management in practice
Ad-hoc teaching at Leeds University Law School, School of Mechanical Engineering and in the Business School
Ad-hoc visiting lecturer at Universities of Warwick, Westminster and Leeds Metropolitan University.
Director, full time MBA
Lecturer in strategy and innovation
Roberts J, Evolving products: from intelligent design to self organising systems, Technology Forecasting and Social Change, 84, 2014, 15-28
CRESC annual conference 2007, Re-thinking the cultural economy.
Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association symposium 2008, Mending the Gaps: Re-thinking media theory and Practice.
Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association Annual conference, 2009, Exploding the myths of cultural industries research.
Media European Media Management Association (EMMA) Conference 2010, The Changing Ecology of the Media, plenary speaker.
15th International Conference of Communication, 2011, Navarro
· Product portfolio management in the media industries: Putting the ‘bust’ back into ‘blockbuster’.
· The challenges of large scale media organization in a multi platform environment: lessons from the 1990s
British Academy of Management annual conference, 2011
· Development paper: Researching the nature of innovation in the entertainment sector – awarded best paper in track – nominated for BAM and Emerald Advanced Authorship Scheme
· Workshop: researching cultures of innovation: university science research
British Academy of Management annual conference, 2012
· Engaged Research PDW, Paul Ellwood, James Roberts, Richard Thorpe
ISPIM annual conference 2012
· Critical Friends: Working with Management Researchers for the Commercialisation of University Science, Paul Ellwood, James Roberts, Richard Thorpe, Ceri Williams
Marketing issues in the film industry today, in Petrie D. (ed.) 1992, New Questions of British Cinema, BFI publications.
Broadcast Media, in Moss, S. (ed.) 2009, The Entertainment Industry: an introduction, CABI, Oxford.
The future of home entertainment, in Walmsley, B. (ed.) 2011, Key issues in the arts and entertainment industry, Goodfellow, Oxford.
The future of media, in Moss, S. (ed.), Entertainment Management: Towards Best Practice CABI, Oxford. Forthcoming
Revisiting the creative/commercial clash: decision making during product development in the television industry, Media Culture & Society, 2010, 32:5.
Producers’ decison making during product development in the televison industry: adressing the cognitive gap, International Journal of Media Management, 2011, 4.
ESRC: grant reference RES-073-27-0025 - the management of innovation in the context of emerging technologies, €90,983
2012 Appointed as Academic Member of ESRC Peer Review College
2012 Appointed as Academic Member of NeMode Review College