Opportunities to invest in your most valuable asset. Your people.
About the leadership apprenticeship
In a constantly changing world, it’s essential for businesses to find ways to retain and develop their high-performing staff to help future-proof their business.
The Level-7 Leadership Apprenticeship offered by Leeds University Business School offers an ideal off-the-shelf leadership development programme for your organisation.
Supported by employers, and paid for directly through the apprenticeship levy, this programme gives your managers the opportunity to gain a high-quality level 7 qualification from Leeds University Business School.
The 14-month programme is designed to work alongside a full-time role and is based upon the Senior Leader Standard, which is a standard set of behaviours, skills and knowledge that have been identified as a requirement to become an executive leader across a wide range of sectors.
Throughout the programme, participants will develop an increased knowledge of leadership, gain a good understanding of the latest business and management theories and how to apply this in their workplace.
Who is it for?
- The programme is ideally suited to those working in management roles within your organisation, with responsibility for teams, people, budgets or other key areas of organisational accountability.
- They must have at least three years strategic leadership experience, and ideally have a degree but not completely necessary.
- As the employer you will be required to provide a reference and be considered a sponsor for the participant.
How much does it cost?
- The fees of £14,000 are funded through the government’s Apprenticeship Levy scheme, subject to eligibility and availability.
- If you are a large company which pays the UK apprenticeship levy the fees will be paid in full by the levy scheme.
- If you are an SME, you will have to pay 5% of the cost of the fees. 95% of the fees will be paid in full by the levy scheme.
Participants will work with academics and hear from industry experts who will share practical insights around areas such as organisational leadership, digital transformation and change management. In addition, they will be encouraged to develop their own managerial skills in areas such as critical and analytical thinking, decision-making, negotiation, and problem solving.
Supported by you, and paid for directly through the apprenticeship levy, this programme provides the opportunity to gain a high quality, level 7 qualification for your employees from the Leeds University Business School – a world-ranked and triple accredited business school.
- It is a 14 Month taught programme
- Cost of £14,000 completely funded through the Apprenticeship Levy scheme for levy payers or at a cost of £700 to non levy payers.
- Everything relates back to the organisation and department the employee works in
- The content of the apprenticeship is designed to be applicable to their job role
- Gain a formal level 7 qualification from the University of Leeds
- Gain Chartered status with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
- Seven distinct Learning blocks each lasting seven weeks – subjects studied include:
- Management decision making,
- Positive leadership,
- Strategy for business leaders,
- Managing change and innovation
- Finance for Practice
- Digital Business transformation
- Ethical and sustainable leadership
- Employees will be given background theories and models to enhance practical knowledge
- There is an assessment at the end of each Learning block – report of 1,000 words
- There is a Final External assessment with the CMI – a 4,000 word Live Business case
- Employees require 20% of their time for ‘Off the Job’ learning
- Not necessarily a day a week but time as required to learn, research, shadow colleagues
- Regular meetings with mentor and the University skills coach
- Employees will build an electronic portfolio of knowledge
Executive Education at Leeds University Business School
Leeds University Business School is a faculty of the University of Leeds, one of the leading higher education institutions in the UK and a member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive UK universities.
In a constantly changing world, it’s essential for business leaders to keep on learning. Our specialist Executive Education programmes equip business leaders to anticipate and adapt to the challenges ahead. Whether they’re looking to develop as a leader, getting up to speed with the latest thinking, or gearing up for the next phase of their career, our programmes can give your employees access to the learning they need.
Our programmes are informed directly by real-world business practice, and the knowledge and insight participants gain can be applied immediately in their role. And as part of our learning community, there are many opportunities to network and learn skills from others, even outside your current sector.
We already work with a number of organisations who support their employees to undertake the Leadership Apprenticeship, including Leeds Teaching NHS Trust, Emerald Publishing, West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Network Rail and many others from across the Leeds City region and beyond.
There were plenty of courses on offer focussing on NHS management, but I wanted to explore skills, ideas and areas that were relevant to the NHS but outside of the NHS environment.
Dr Sara Matley, Consultant Clinical Psychologist at NHS
I would really encourage others to do an apprenticeship; at our organisation, we’re keen on evolving and keeping on getting better and I have information to share with my colleagues.
Mark Llewellyn, Managing Director of Sales and Marketing for Revive UK
How to apply
Contact the apprenticeship team on email@example.com for further details
Application form: Application form
Before your application can be approved you will need to provide the following application documents:
- Employer reference from your current line manager endorsing your application for the programme.
- Written confirmation from your employer with their agreement to you spending 20% of your normal working hours on this formal work-based qualification.
- Copy of your bachelor’s degree certificate(s) and transcripts.
- If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, evidence of your professional qualifications and any other CPD qualifications.
- Copies of your GCSE Maths and English certificates showing pass grades C/4, or an equivalent.
- A full CV setting out how you meet the job role responsibilities set out in the eligibility criteria.
We will take all our entry criteria into consideration when evaluating your application, as well as your post-apprenticeship career goals and whether the apprenticeship is likely to help you fulfil them.
All eligible applicants will be invited to a formal telephone interview.