A once in a lifetime opportunity to spend a year studying abroad.
Make friends, experience another culture and have fun. Choose from places including the USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan and countries in Europe. All of our students have the opportunity to take a year abroad, so make sure you take yours.
What's in it for me?
- The opportunity to live in another culture, meet new people and see new places
- The chance to show potential employers that you are capable, independent and that you rise to a challenge
- Improved confidence and communication skills
- Academic enhancement - broaden your knowledge by studying at one of our high-quality partner institutions - some of the leading universities and business schools in the world
- A year of adventure you might never get another chance to experience. As a student you have access to visas that might not be available at other times in your life
Where can I go?
The University has partnerships with more than 300 universities worldwide and popular destinations for our students include Europe, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Africa and Latin America.
Visit the University of Leeds study abroad website to find out more about possible destinations.
How does it work?
- You decide whether you want to study abroad at the start of your second year. If you decide to do this, your year abroad will be your third year and you will transfer to a four year version of your degree programme.
- Please note: International (non-EU) students can apply for a Study Year Abroad however may be required to extend their Tier 4 visa. Further details can be found here.
- To qualify for a year abroad you must pass all year 1 modules with an average of 60+
- You will be enrolled on the Study Abroad module LUBS9001 throughout the year, which will enable you to reflect on and articulate the skills gained on a year abroad. As well as this, you will be registered as a full time student at a partner institution, and will be studying modules overseas that enhance your knowledge of business, and develop a deeper understanding of the culture you are living in.
- Upon successful completion of the year abroad, the word ‘International’ will be appended to your degree title
- Your marks abroad won’t affect your degree classification, only the title of your degree.
What will it cost?
- Study abroad students pay reduced tuition fees to the University of Leeds, but do not pay any fees to the partner institution. For the latest information on fees please visit the University of Leeds Study Abroad website
- The Study Abroad office has up-to-date lists of all the partner institutions, and information on the cost of living in participating countries
- You will be eligible to continue to receive any student loan to which you are normally entitled. Some Local Education Authorities (LEA) give extra help in the form of travel grants
For more information, contact email@example.com
View full profile
Studying abroad has helped me develop my communication skills since I surrounded myself with a huge amount of international friends.Jasmine Moodie, United Kingdom
BA Management with Marketing
View full profile
I was fortunate enough to meet somebody who inspired me to pursue a career in technology, something which I hadn't considered before studying abroad.Tom Simpson, United Kingdom