A once in a lifetime opportunity to spend a year studying abroad.
Make friends, experience another culture and have fun. Choose from places including the USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan and countries in Europe. All of our students have the opportunity to take a year abroad, so make sure you take yours.
What's in it for me?
- The opportunity to live in another culture, meet new people and see new places
- The chance to show potential employers that you are capable, independent and that you rise to a challenge
- Improved confidence and communication skills
- Academic enhancement - broaden your knowledge by studying at one of our high-quality partner institutions - some of the leading universities and business schools in the world
- A year of adventure you might never get another chance to experience. As a student you have access to visas that might not be available at other times in your life
Watch the video of BSc Economics student Josie to hear what she got out of a year abroad at the University of Wisconisin-Madison, USA. You can also read about other students' experiences on the Leeds University Business School Study Abroad programme.
Where can I go?
We have over 60 partner institutions across 6 continents. Countries you could study abroad at include:
|South Korea||South Africa||Spain|
Visit Leeds study abroad to find out more about possible destinations.
How does it work?
- You decide whether you want to study abroad at the start of your second year. If you decide to do this, your year abroad will be your third year and you will transfer to a four year version of your degree programme.
- Please note: International (non-EU) students can apply for a Study Year Abroad however may be required to extend their Tier 4 visa. Further details can be found here.
- To qualify for a year abroad you must pass all year 1 modules with an average of 60+
- You will maintain an online log throughout the year abroad and take a number of credits of academic study at the partner University
- Upon successful completion of the year abroad, the word ‘International’ will be appended to your degree title
- Your marks abroad won’t affect your degree classification, only the title of your degree.
What will it cost?
- Study abroad students pay reduced tuition fees to the University of Leeds, but do not pay any fees to the partner institution. For the latest information on fees please visit the Study Abroad programme website
- The Study Abroad office has up-to-date lists of all the partner institutions, and information on the cost of living in participating countries
- You will be eligible to continue to receive any student loan to which you are normally entitled. Some Local Education Authorities (LEA) give extra help in the form of travel grants
- If you are from the EU and you complete an Erasmus exchange (within Europe) you may be eligible for a non-means tested Erasmus grant
For more information on costs and funding on the Leeds University Business School Study Abroad website.
Find out more
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
View full profile
I’ve met some of the greatest friends, been to places I never thought I would get to the opportunity to go and grown to love a city I may well end up in later life!Olivia Kiernan, United Kingdom
View full profile
By this point I was starting to feel like Australia was home rather than just being a tourist. This is one of the advantages of taking part in the University of Leeds study abroad programme as most...Michael Rushe, United Kingdom
View full profile
It was an extraordinarily eye-opening experience. Taking two semesters in a foreign university is uncommon across many other countries and institutions so I have become a more outgoing and sociable...Sam Toms, United Kingdom