Developing your skills and knowledge
Our Nurturing Talent Mentor Scheme connects our undergraduate students with professionals from industry.
Through the mentoring relationship, students get a chance to enhance their employability skills and start to build their professional networks, as mentors pass on their knowledge, expertise and experience to support the career paths of their mentees.
Successful applicants to the scheme receive a wide range of benefits as they are mentored on a one-to-one basis for one academic year. Capacity is limited and applying for the scheme is a competitive process.
Partners from industry
They can pass on their skills, knowledge and experience to help you when searching for internships, placements and graduate opportunities. The scheme aims to enhance your employability, expand your professional network, increase your confidence and develop keys skills that will provide you with a competitive edge in the graduate labour market.
We also give you access to a range of our personal and professional development workshops delivered by our partners. These workshops are designed to develop your graduate attributes to help you stand out from the crowd.
- About mentoring
Mentoring can involve:
- Visiting your mentor’s workplace to gain an insight into the business environment
- Discussing career plans to get an unbiased, experienced view of your next steps
- Networking with your mentor’s colleagues to find out about alternative roles
- Accessing shadowing or work experience opportunities
- Gaining a realistic knowledge of various career roles and developing a personal strategy for success
- Guidance on the interview and selection process
- Constructive advice on demonstrating the skills employers are looking for
- Your benefits
How you can benefit:
- Gain practical advice, encouragement and support
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Increase your social and academic confidence
- Become more empowered to make decisions
- Develop communication, study and personal skills
- Develop strategies for dealing with both personal and academic issues
- Identify goals and establish a sense of direction
- Gain valuable insight into the next stage of your career
- Have an opportunity to network
- Contact us
For further information, please contact:
Professional Development Officer
T: 0113 3432617
View full profile
These extra opportunities are so valuable in shaping my degree, and benefiting from the wider Leeds University Business School learning environment.Chris Campbell, United Kingdom
View full profile
The Nurturing Talent Mentoring Scheme gave me the opportunity to have a mentor from the finance industry [...] to expand my network along with providing application advice.Jordan Hamilton, United Kingdom