Dr Jyoti Mishra
- Position: Associate Professor in Information Management
- Areas of expertise: Information Management, Circular Economy, Sustainability, Technology use in Organisations, Supply Chain Management, Activity Theory, Risk Communication, Humanitarian Operations
- Email: J.L.Mishra@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1344
- Location: 1.29 Charles Thackrah
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Jyoti Mishra joined Leeds University Business School as an Associate Professor in 2019. Prior to that, she worked at Bradford University as a lecturer in Sustainable Operations Management and was also a Director of Work Placement and Internships. At Bradford, Jyoti was involved in the delivery of the World's first MBA in Circular Economy launched in partnership with the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. Jyoti is a World Social Science Fellow in Disaster Risk Reduction since 2011. She is an Associate Editor for the European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS) and acts as a peer reviewer for many leading international journals.
Jyoti comes from an Electronics Engineering background and has done her MSc in Mobile Computing with a specialisation in Artificial Intelligence. Before coming to the UK in 2005, Jyoti taught Electronics and Computer Engineering students and held roles such as Deputy Chief of the Research & Consultancy Division; Deputy Head of the Electronics & Computer Engineering Department. Additionally, she holds a PhD in Management from the University of Leeds.
Jyoti has supervised to completion 2 PhD students and more than 50 MBA, MSc, and UG students. She has acted as an external examiner internationally. She is currently supervising four PhD students on topics such as Inter-Organisational Collaboration; IoT for Circular Economy, Smart Cities, and Innovative Policing Models. Potential doctoral students with research interests in information management, circular economy, and technology use in organisations, emergency/disaster management, and supply chains can contact her to discuss their research topics. Jyoti is an external examiner at the University of Sheffield and in the past, she has been an EE for the University of Bolton.
- Deputy Director of AIMTech Research Centre
- LUBS Sustainability Champion
- Lead IT Sustainability, LUBS
Jyoti's current research interest is in understanding technology use in organisations. She is investigating the role of disruptive technologies in creating value for organisations. Some of the questions she is addressing are about- how can we use digital technologies to enable circular business models in organisations; how can we capture value from making linear systems to circular systems.
Jyoti has secured several funding for ICT, Circular Economy, and Supply Chain Research such as:
• UKRI AKT “develop the scope and requirements for a larger company-wide digital transformation that will significantly improve productivity” with LBBC, £34k, 2022/23 (Co-I)
• Blockchain-enabled Cloud Computing based integrated Carbon Calculator (Be4C), £25K, funded by STFC 2022/23 (Co-I)
• Adopting a Circular Economy Business Model for Resource Efficiency in the ICT industry (ACE4ICT), £182K, 2023/25 (advisor/contract)
• KnoWaste, Smart Waste Tracking System, Innovate UK, £80K, 2018/19 (Co-I)
• CCIP (Collaboration, Capacity & IP development) Grant, University of Bradford, 2016, £10K (PI)
• Sustainable food supply chain in developing countries: Current practices and future opportunities for poverty alleviation, University of Bradford, 2017, £7.5K (PI)
In the past, Jyoti has worked on EU FP7-funded projects such as ImREAL (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/95595/factsheet/en) and ACROPOLIS (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/95593/factsheet/es).
- PhD in Management (University of Leeds, UK), 2012
- MSc by Research (University of Bradford, UK), 2006
- BSc in Engineering (Tribhuvan University, Nepal), 2002
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (University of Bradford, UK), 2015
- Member of Association of Information Systems
- European Operations Management Associations (EurOMA)
Jyoti has been very innovative in her teaching & learning approach. She believes in student-led pedagogy and hence uses problem-based learning and action learning sets in her learning and teaching. She has designed many UG and PG modules and co-led the development of MSc in Supply Chain & Analytics program at the School of Management, University of Bradford. She has launched several initiatives for UG at UoB such as Sustainable Development Challenge and Industry Challenge within the Dissertation module. At Leeds, she has developed course units in digital business and information management challenges at the PG level.
Jyoti is currently involved in learning and teaching for UG, PG, and MBA programs. She is a module leader for UG 2nd year module on Managing in Digital Workplace and in the MSc module on Digital Information and Organisation. She teaches the MBA in Global Operations and Information Management. Her teaching is appreciated by students. Feedbacks on her teaching style are:
“This is the module that developed my critical thinking the most, more because of the teacher’s learning style”
“Some of the topics were quite engaging, such as the circular economy and social media topics. The use of Padlet during the workshops was a really good method of learning. The workshops were quite interactive which really helpful overall was”
“Teaching [is] of a very high standard- lecturers very well informed and gave you a really rounded view of the topic”
“The actual content is more interesting in comparison to the other modules”.
Research groups and institutes
- Adaptation Information Management and Technology
- Centre for Operations and Supply Chain Research