Professor Andy Charlwood
- Position: Chair in Human Resources Management
- Areas of expertise: HR Analytics; job quality; subjective wellbeing at work; employee engagement; meaningful work; healthcare workforce.
- Email: A.Charlwood@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2384
- Location: G.02 31 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
After reading History at the University of Liverpool, Andy gained an MSc and PhD from the Industrial Relations Department of the London School of Economics. Andy began his academic career as a lecturer in HRM at the University of Kent in 2001, moving to Leeds for the first time as lecturer in HRM and Industrial Relations in 2003. In 2007 he was lured away from Leeds to the glittering plate glass of Warwick University. However, when he arrived at Warwick, he realised to his horror that the University was actually in Coventry and that Coventry isn't nearly as nice as Leeds. He subsequently moved back to Yorkshire in in 2008 as senior lecturer then reader in HRM at the University of York. In 2014 he joined Loughborough University as professor of HRM before coming home to Leeds in September 2016. He became Head of the Work and Employment Relations Division in February 2017.
- Head of the Work and Employment Relations Division
Andys main research interests are in the areas of job quality, well-being at work, HR and people analytics. He is interested in the ways in which analytics and the digitisation of people management are changing HRM. His research is interdisciplinary in its approach, drawing on ideas and methods from the sociology of work and employment, work psychology and labour economics.
Andy has held research grants from the Department of Trade and Industry, the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) and the British Academy. He is currently working on a National Institute for Health Research funded project looking at the relationships between workforce and care quality in care homes (https://twitter.com/StarqThe). He is a founder member of the HR Analytics Think Tank (https://www.hranalyticsthinktank.com/) a University/Industry research collaboration. In 2014 he held a year-long research fellowship, funded by the British Academy, to investigate job satisfaction and subjective well-being at work in Britain from a sociological perspective, looking at how social norms and social structure shape the expectations and aspirations that people have about work and how this in turn shapes their evaluations of subjective well-being.
- BA (hons) History, University of Liverpool
- MSc. Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, London School of Economics
- PhD. Industrial Relations, London School of Economics
- Academic Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
Andy's teaching is in the areas of strategic human resource management and people analytics.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change