The Research Excellence Framework (REF) assesses the quality of research in UK higher education institutions. In the 2014 assessment, Leeds University Business School was ranked 9th in the UK for ‘research power’, and was highly ranked on all other measures, reinforcing our position a leading UK research-intensive business school.
- 9th for overall Grade Point Average (GPA) ranking
- Joint 7th for 4* and 3* assessments in the submission
- 9th for GPA and faculty submitted (research power)
- 9th for GPA, faculty eligibility and faculty submitted
- 'GPA' is a measure of the overall quality of the research submitted.
- ‘Outputs’ are the product of any form of research, published between January 2008 and December 2013.
- ‘Impact’ is any effect on, change or benefit to the economy, society, culture, public policy or services, health, the environment or quality of life, beyond academia.
- ‘Environment’ refers to the strategy, resources and infrastructure that support research.
Grade Point Average (GPA)
GPA is a measure of the average quality of the research submitted. Leeds University Business School was ranked 9th for overall Grade Point Average (GPA). Some 82% of research submitted was considered to be of the highest standard, namely "world leading" (4*) or "internationally excellent" (3*).
|2||University of Cambridge||3.44|
|4||University of Oxford||3.36|
|5||London Business School||3.29|
|7||City University London||3.23|
|8||University of Bath||3.20|
|9||University of Leeds||3.18|
|10||University of Strathclyde||3.17|
Number of faculty submitted
Almost 75% of the Leeds University Business School faculty were included in our REF submission (74.68% full time equivalent staff, equating to 73.19 in total). Leeds University Business School was ranked 9th in this category.
|2||University of Manchester||121.63|
|3||University of Warwick||104.40|
|4||London Business School||98.83|
|5||University of Nottingham||89.20|
|7||City University London||78.29|
|8||University of Strathclyde||73.35|
|9||University of Leeds||73.19|
Research power is a measure of the quantity and quality of research submitted. It is calculated by multiplying the GPA by the total number of FTE of the faculty submitted. Leeds University Business School was ranked 9th in this measure.
|2||University of Manchester||373|
|3||University of Warwick||329|
|4||London Business School||325|
|6||University of Nottingham||260|
|7||City University London||253|
|9||University of Leeds||233.7|
|10||University of Strathclyde||233.5|