Top employers are looking for graduates who go further during their time at university.
At the Business School, we offer a range of opportunities for you to develop the skills and experience that will boost your CV and make you stand out from the crowd.
Our dedicated employability team will help you to develop the professional skills and experience that top graduate employers are looking for.
Go further at Leeds
- Optional years - all of our courses include the opportunity to spend a year in industry or studying abroad, extending your degree to four years. These opportunities are a brilliant way to enhance your degree and many students achieve much higher results in their final year after the experience.
- Professional mentoring - our Nurturing Talent Mentor Scheme connects undergraduate students with professionals from industry.
- Peer Assisted Study Scheme (PASS) - you can enhance your academic learning and work-related skills through participation in in our Peer Assisted Study Scheme (PASS) by becoming a course representative or ambassador, undertaking a research summer project or joining a volunteering scheme.
- Meet employers on campus - we run a range of employability workshops and one-to-one advice sessions involving employers, giving you valuable insight into how to stand out in the graduate employment market. We are also one of the top five most targeted UK universities by graduate recruiters (High Fliers report, The Graduate Market in 2021).
- Improve your entrepreneurial skills - the University of Leeds Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies provides practical support, materials and guidance to all those who are interested in gaining new skills and improving their enterprise background.
- From study to work - as well as the opportunities above, you'll have access to a wealth of facilities and support which will help you to stand out from the crowd when you graduate. This includes a specialist second year module 'From Study to Work', which helps you to secure placement opportunities and prepare for a professional career. You will also be able to keep track of your progress using the Leeds for Life online facility which helps you to recognise and record your personal, professional and academic development and to articulate your skills and knowledge to employers.
- The University of Leeds Careers Centre - you will also have access to the University’s award-winning Careers Centre - one of the largest in the country, which includes access to My Career Service - an online resource and database of thousands of internships and graduate vacancies.
91.44% of UK-based graduates are in employment and/or further study within 15 months of graduation. 87.3% of UK-based graduates in employment are in graduate level employment such as professional or managerial work within 15 months of graduation.
We work closely with employers and industry experts to ensure that all of our courses are relevant to the changing business world. Employers regularly deliver presentations and workshops as part of our courses and many of our programmes are professionally accredited - giving extra value to your degree.
Accreditations and exemptions
- Our BSc Accounting and Finance course offers significant exemptions from the main professional bodies in the field, including ICAEW, CIMA and ACCA
- We are one of only a handful of institutions to hold CIPD accreditation for our BA Human Resource Management degree
- Our International Business degrees are accredited by the Institute of Export
- Our BA Business Management with Marketing and BSc International Business and Marketing degrees are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) for the purpose of gaining CIM qualifications through the Graduate Gateway
We recognise and reward our students with prizes for exceptional hard work and achievement, each year we award up to 10 different awards totalling £20,000. Winning a Leeds University Business School prize is a great addition to your CV and will help to demonstrate your ability to top graduate employers.
Top employers have identified a shortage of social science graduates with the quantitative skills needed to analyse data and evaluate research evidence. Q-Step is a new initiative aimed at addressing this need.
As a member of the Q-Step initiative, the University of Leeds has developed a range of modules which allow students to develop quantitative skills through their business or social science degree, enhancing their employability.
These modules will be available on the following programmes:
- BA Human Resource Management
- BA Business Management and the Human Resource
- BA Business Management
- BSc International Business
How does it work?
You apply for the course as normal. In your first year you can then choose to enrol for special quantitative-based modules, such as Understanding Data in the Social Sciences. If you pass these modules, further Q-Step modules will be available in your second and final years.
How will it help me?
Taking Q-Step modules will help you develop the vital quantitative skills sought by employers whilst allowing you to maintain the subject focus of your degree.
The University of Leeds has an outstanding reputation for quantitative social science and is home to the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics, a prestigious UK Research Council Centre for big data analytics in both health and consumer behaviour. This expertise, along with our links with industry and government, will help to inform your teaching on the new modules.
James Quirk BA Management with Marketing (Ind)
During my time at university, I've joined Enactus Society (consulting with small businesses), sat on the Business society committee (Vise President), volunteered as a PASS mentor, worked as a brand ambassador on campus, and completed a placement year at Nestlé.View Profile
Ziying Gong BSc International Business
My dissertation involved working with industry experts to make an important contribution to the field of international business. I feel very proud of the work I have completed and the learning which I will be able to apply to my career afterwards.View Profile