Dr Jyoti Mishra
- Position: Associate Professor in Information Management
- Areas of expertise: Information Management, Circular Economy, Sustainability, Technology use in Organisations, Supply Chain Management, Activity Theory, Risk Communication, Humanitarian Operations
- Email: J.L.Mishra@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1344
- Location: 1.29 Charles Thackrah
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Jyoti Mishra joined Leeds University Business School as an Associate Professor in 2019. Prior to that, she worked at Bradford University where she held the role of Director of Work Placement and Internships. In the past, Jyoti was involved in the EU FP7-funded projects ImREAL and ACROPOLIS as a Research Fellow. Jyoti is a World Social Science Fellow in Disaster Risk Reduction since 2011. She is an Associate Editor for the European Journal of Information Systems (EJIS) and acts as a peer reviewer for many leading international journals.
Jyoti comes from an Electronics Engineering background and has done her MSc in Mobile Computing with a specialisation in Artificial Intelligence. Before coming to the UK in 2005, Jyoti taught Electronics and Computer Engineering students and held roles such as Deputy Chief of Research & Consultancy Division; Deputy Head of Electronics & Computer Engineering Department. Additionally, she holds a PhD in Management from the University of Leeds.
Jyoti has supervised to completion 2 PhD students and more than 50 MBA, MSc, and UG students. She has acted as an external examiner internationally. She is currently supervising three PhD students on topics such as Inter-Organisational Collaboration; IoT for Circular Economy, and Smart Cities and Innovative Policing Models. Potential doctoral students with research interests in information management, circular economy, technology use in organisations, emergency/disaster management, and supply chains can contact her to discuss their research topics. Jyoti is an external examiner at the University of Sheffield and in the past, she has been an EE for the University of Bolton.
- Deputy Director of AIMTech Research Centre
- LUBS Sustainability Champion
- Lead of working group IT Sustainability
Jyoti's current research interest is in understanding technology use in organisations. She is investigating the role of disruptive technologies in creating value for organisations. Some of the questions she is addressing are around- how Big Data could be used for Disaster Risk Reduction; how can we use the Internet of Things to enable circular business models in organisations; how can we capture value from making linear systems circular?
While at Bradford, Jyoti was involved in a DEFRA-funded project on Smart Waste Tracking. In the past, Jyoti has worked on EU FP7-funded projects such as ImREAL (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/95595/factsheet/en) and ACROPOLIS (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/95593/factsheet/es). She has secured several fundings for ICT, Circular Economy, and Supply Chain Research such as:•
• KnoWaste, Smart Waste Tracking System, Innovate UK, £80K, 2018/19 (Co-I)
CCIP (Collaboration, Capacity & IP development) Grant, University of Bradford, 2016, £10K (PI)
• Sustainable food supply chain in developing countries: Current practices and future opportunities for poverty alleviation, University of Bradford, 2017, £7.5K (PI)
- PhD in Management (University of Leeds, UK), 2012
- MSc by Research (University of Bradford, UK), 2006
- BSc in Engineering (Tribhuvan University, Nepal), 2002
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (University of Bradford, UK), 2015
- Member of Association of Information Systems
- European Operations Management Associations (EurOMA)
Jyoti has been very innovative in her teaching & learning approach. She believes in student-led pedagogy and hence uses problem-based learning and action learning sets in her learning and teaching. She has designed many UG and PG modules and co-led the development of MSc in Supply Chain & Analytics program at UoB. She has launched several initiatives for UG at UoB such as Sustainable Development Challenge and Industry Challenge within the Dissertation module. At Leeds, she has developed course units in digital business and information management challenges at the PG level.
Jyoti is currently a module leader for UG 2nd year module on Managing in Digital Workplace and in MSc module on Challenges in Information Management. She is also engaged in learning and teaching activities for MBA in Global Operations and Information Management, and an MSc module on Innovation in Operations and Information Systems Management.
Research groups and institutes
- Adaptation Information Management and Technology
- Centre for Operations and Supply Chain Research