Dr Josh Morton
- Position: Lecturer in Strategy and Innovation
- Areas of expertise: Strategy Practice, Digital Strategy, Digital Innovation, Strategic Agility, Open Organising
- Email: J.Morton1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5933
- Location: G.18 Charles Thackrah Building
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Strategy and Innovation and joined Leeds University Business School in 2017. My research focuses on strategy practice, digital strategy and digital Innovation, strategic agility, and open forms of organising. I have worked closely with organisations on a number of research and consultancy projects, many of which are ongoing, including with Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, CILIP, Microsoft, Wikimedia, and the NHS. I am also an Associate Fellow at the digital futures at work research centre (Digit), and from 2021-2022 I was PI on a ESRC funded project with Digit on ‘Digital Strategy Work’.
- Interim Subject Group Leader - Strategy & Organisation
- Deputy Director Centre for Technology, Innovation, and Engagement (C-TIE)
Research engagement and professional activities:
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Strategic Information Systems, and European Management Review.
- Editor for Henry Stewart Talks.
- Conference commitee member and track chair e.g., the 2020 SMS Special Conference in Berkeley, California; 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 Australasian Conference on Information Systems in Wellington, NZ, Sydney, Aus, and Melbourne, Aus.
- Associate Editor at International Conference on Information Systems (2018), European Conference on Information Systems (2020, 2021), and Academy of Management Annual Meeting (CTO Division) (2022, 2023).
- Reviewer for numerous journals and publishers such as: Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Organization Studies, Information Systems Journal, California Management Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Long Range Planning, Information & Organization, Journal of Information Technology, Business & Society, European Journal of Information Systems, European Management Review, Oxford University Press, MIT Press, and others.
- Reviewer for the Dutch Research Council (NWO), and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Awards and fellowships:
- Associate Fellow at digital futures at work research centre (Digit).
- Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, 2021 (SAP Interest Group).
- LITE transformation fellowship (University of Leeds).
- External member of the Knowledge and the Digital Economy Research Interest Group (KDE-RIG) (Loughborough University).
- PhD Loughborough University
- MSc Loughborough University (Distinction)
- BSc University of Sheffield (First-class)
- Academy of Management
- European Group for Organizational Studies
- Association for Information Systems
- Strategic Management Society
- Strategy as Practice International-Network
- Open Strategy Network
I teach Strategic Management at Undergraduate and Executive Education levels (Strategy for Business Leaders) and supervise Postgraduate and MBA level Dissertations.
From 2017-2021 I was programme director for MSc Global Strategy and Innovation Management.
From 2020-2022 I was awarded a University LITE transformation fellowship for developing innovative Strategic Management teaching materials with colleagues at Leeds University Business School.
I also supervise Management PhD students, and act as a mentor and supervisor for Laidlaw Scholars through the Laidlaw Foundation.
If you are interested in PhD study then you are welcome to contact me directly. Please ensure your proposal is well developed and aligned with my research interests.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Technology Innovation and Engagement