Leeds University Business School has also been named a Centre of Excellence by the Chartered Banker Institute (CBI) a member-led organisation, representing qualified bankers and those working towards their professional qualifications. Our MSc Banking and International Finance and our BSc Banking and Finance programmes are accredited by the CBI.
Leeds welcomes Bank of England policymaker
We help bring the right networks of business and thought leaders together to support investment and innovation in the region.More on Leeds welcomes Bank of England policymaker
International Banking Institute
Responding to the changing demands of the finance sector with high-quality research and engagement with businesses and regulators.
International Banking Institute
International Banking Institute (IBI)
Over its 25 years plus history, the focus of the International Banking Institute (IBI) has been to respond to the changing demands of the banking sector. Its current research focuses on risk, systematic risk, ESG, capital adequacy and bank failure.
IBI members comprise a mixture of experience and youth and this propels the research we do. We marry reports for regulators and industry with high-quality academic papers to inform the academic community, industry and the public.
Celebrating the International Banking Institute's anniversary
CBI accredited degree programmes, industry reports and keynote speakers
A long history of developing leading banking academics and a strong community
Strategic Plan 2023 to 2028
IBI will be known as a primary, first-class educational and banking research hub within the UK and Europe.
1. Ensure that its research environment delivers high high-quality outputs to academia and the financial sectors. We strive for research excellence.
2. Promote and encourage a lively and successful doctoral community. While the number of staff focusing on banking research at Leeds is already large by UK standards, the outputs of IBI will be leveraged via close partnerships with its doctoral students. The intention is to have a steady state number of doctoral students approaching double figures.
3. To address key issues facing the global banking industry. Several members of IBI are linked to banking regulators across Europe and a small number of industry players. In addition, the close links with the Chartered Bankers Institute keeps the research agenda of IBI fresh and up to date.
4. Develop and support existing academic staff to achieve their potential and appoint high achievers. IBI has a clear strategy of having a mix of experienced and early career academics. The hiring strategy has been directed towards creating a stream of research papers and reports from complementary and overlapping interests and expertise. We have invested in all the structures and support systems to ensure this is achieved.
5. The plan will be implemented, and success will be achieved by a series of ‘milestone outputs’ from the individual and collective efforts of the IBI team: discussion papers that introduce novel research ideas and findings, journal publications with ABS 4* and 4 ratings, industry-relevant research reports, as well as the development and career progression of both graduate students and staff members.
On 22 November, Leeds University Business School student, Ilse Osorio…
Friday 24 November 2023More on Masters student showcases dissertation at the Bank of England
Director of the International Banking Institute (IBI), Professor Kevin Keasey…
Thursday 30 March 2023More on International Banking Institute celebrates 25 years
Alumnus Mr Mark Hughes, former Group Chief Risk Officer (RBC) and current…
Thursday 9 February 2023More on Accounting and Finance students attended a lecture with non-executive board member at UBS