Our community of scholars produce resources that enhance teaching at Leeds and beyond, significantly influencing the wider discipline. Dr Michael Reynolds and Dr Andrew Mearman are Associates of the Economics Network, a collaborative cross-university association established by the Higher Education Academy to improve economics teaching and learning.
Leeds staff engage in continuous reflection about their teaching, and these efforts have doubled in the response to the challenges of teaching and learning during the Covid pandemic. Here we present case studies of reflections on teaching practice, discussing issues such as module design, interactive teaching, and effective use of lecture capture and other video resources.
- Dr Juliane Scheffel and Dr Andrew Mearman discuss how they welcomed economics students, 2020-style
- Dr Tad Gwiazdowski discusses how he has integrated climate change into an intermediate macroeconomics module
- Dr Andrew Mearman discusses an existing module redesigned for Covid-secure teaching, focusing on how the delivery was re-designed to re-align with a re-designed assessment
- Dr Antonio Rodriguez Gil discusses using current affairs essays to provide feedback and improve realism in teaching a final year macroeconomics module, an area of continuing work for him
- Dr Stefan Kesting discusses how universities can foster a sense of belonging among all students via social media and food.
- Dr Antonio Rodriguez Gil and Dr Ali Raza discuss a new case study with the Economics Network on “Using Excel conditional formulae to provide individual exam feedback in large groups.”