Dr Josh Morton
- Position: Lecturer in Strategy and Innovation
- Areas of expertise: Strategic Information Systems, Digital Strategy, Digital Innovation, Strategic Agility, Open Organising
- Email: J.Morton1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5933
- Location: G.18 Charles Thackrah Building
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate
I am a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Strategy and Innovation and joined Leeds University Business School in 2017. My research focuses on strategic information systems, digital strategy and digital Innovation, strategic agility, and open forms of organising. I have worked closely with organisations on a number of research and consultancy projects, many of which are ongoing, including with Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, CILIP, Microsoft, Wikimedia, and the NHS. I am currently PI on an ESRC funded project with the digital futures at work research centre (Digit) on Digital Strategy Work. I am also a Digit centre Associate Fellow.
Engagement and professional roles:
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Strategic Information Systems.
- Editor for Henry Stewart Talks.
- Conference commitee member and track chair e.g., the 2020 SMS Special Conference in Berkeley, California (track: Technology Innovation, Platforms, and Ecosystems in an Autonomous and Connected World), 2020 and 2021 Australasian Conference on Information Systems in Wellington, New Zealand and Sydney, Australia (track: Strategy, Governance, and Leadership in the Digital Age).
- Associate Editor at International Conference on Information Systems (2018), European Conference on Information Systems (2020, 2021), and Academy of Management Annual Meeting (CTO Division) (2022).
- Reviewer for numerous journals and publishers such as: Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Organization Studies, Information Systems Journal, California Management Review, Journal of Business Ethics, Long Range Planning, Information & Organization, Journal of Information Technology, Business & Society, Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Oxford University Press, MIT Press, and others.
- Reviewer for the Dutch Research Council (NWO).
Awards and fellowships:
- Associate Fellow at digital futures at work research centre (Digit).
- Best Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, 2021 (SAP Interest Group).
- LITE transformation fellowship (University of Leeds).
- External member of the Knowledge and the Digital Economy Research Interest Group (KDE-RIG) (Loughborough University).
My research interests focus on the broad areas of strategy, innovation, and technology including; pluralistic contexts, strategic agility, digital strategy/strategizing, open organising, open strategy, crowd innovation, legitimation, and digital innovation. I have published in high-ranked journals (e.g., CABS 3 and 4 level) and often present at leading conferences including the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS), Strategic Management Society Annual Conference/Special Conferences, International Conference on Information Systems, European Conference on Information Systems, IFIP 8.2 Working Conference, and the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
My current funded research projects are:
£31,368, funded by ESRC, PI – A Framework for Digital Strategy Work: Exploring Inclusion and Transparency in the Strategy Process.
£9,260, funded by LUBS, CO-I – Collaborative decentralised crowd innovation to address complex social problems.
£25,500, funded by LUBS/DUBS, CO-I – Collective ideation and innovation processes in healthcare (with University of Leeds Medical School and Durham University Business School).
- PhD Loughborough University
- MSc Loughborough University (Distinction)
- BSc University of Sheffield (First-class)
- Academy of Management
- European Group for Organizational Studies
- Association for Information Systems
- Strategic Management Society
- Strategy as Practice International-Network
- Open Strategy Network
I teach Strategic Management at Undergraduate and Executive Education levels (Strategy for Business Leaders) and supervise Postgraduate and MBA level Dissertations.
From 2017-2021 I was programme director for MSc Global Strategy and Innovation Management.
From 2020-2022 I was awarded a University LITE transformation fellowship for developing innovative Strategic Management teaching materials with colleagues at Leeds University Business School.
I also supervise Management PhD students, and act as a mentor and supervisor for Laidlaw Scholars through the Laidlaw Foundation.
My current PhD students are:
Yasmeen Aldhafiri – Temporality and Institutional Logics in a Case of Organisational Digital Transformation (with Dr Aljona Zorina).
Peiwen (Dana) Wang – CEO Leadership and Industry 4.0 (with Prof. Jatinder Sidhu).
Tiantian (Richo) Qin – Open Digital Strategy Work (with Prof. Krsto Pandza).
Shiyan Sheng – Innovation Processes and Industrial IoT (with Prof. Krsto Pandza).
If you are interested in PhD study then you are welcome to contact me directly. Please ensure your proposal is well developed and aligned with my research interests.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Technology Innovation and Engagement