Dr Alex Kevill
- Position: Lecturer in Enterprise
- Areas of expertise: Entrepreneurial Well-being; Dynamic Capabilities; Qualitative Research Methods
- Email: A.M.Kevill@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0584
- Location: G.27 Charles Thackrah Building
I joined the Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies in 2017, having previously been a senior lecturer at the University of Huddersfield. Before this I completed an ESRC funded PhD at Lancaster University in 2015, investigating the micro-foundations of dynamic capabilities in micro-enterprises. I have been lead author on publications in internationally renowned journals and have guest edited a special issue for the International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. I have enjoyed teaching on various modules and courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in different UK higher education institutions and have also taught internationally as part of a large-scale Erasmus funded research project. I have taught a wide range of subject areas including entrepreneurship, innovation, management, consulting, employability, learning, and research methods. I have experience supervising undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation students and also doctoral research students. Prior to commencing my PhD studies, I worked in the financial services sector undertaking a range of business and human resources related roles. During this time I was involved in numerous organisational development projects. I also have experience working and consulting for a number of small and micro-enterprises.
I have a keen interest in understanding the micro-foundations of dynamic capabilities in micro-enterprises and entrepreneurial organisations. I am particularly keen to investigate the role that individuals' psychological and affective states play in such capabilities. I am also passionate about undertaking research into entrepreneurial well-being. I place importance on understanding how different research methods could help to advance entrepreneurship and small business research.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in the following areas: -
Dynamic capabilities in entrepreneurial businesses
My expertise is in qualitative research approaches
- PGCHE, University of Huddersfield
- PhD in Management Learning and Leadership, Lancaster University
- MA in Human Resource Development and Consulting, Lancaster University
- PGCE (Post Compulsory), University of Central Lancashire
- BSc (Hons) Business Studies, Lancaster University
- Academy of Management
- British Academy of Management
- Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Higher Education Academy
My teaching focusses on a range of topics, including enterprise, entrepreneurship, social entrepreneurship and innovation. I have taught at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and have also supervised both undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre