Experts in credit management research
Building strong relationships with the finance and credit industry and with policymakers
Credit Management Research Centre
The Credit Management Research Centre (CMRC)
The Credit Management Research Centre (CMRC) was established in 1998, with funding from the Institute of Credit Management (now the Chartered Institute of Credit Management CICM), commercial sponsors from the credit industry, and research grants.
Recognising the important role of knowledge transfer activities, the research programme combines academic rigour with practitioner and policy relevance. We consider industry and policy partnerships and engagement as a critical factor in our commitment to dynamic and relevant research, innovative teaching, and engaging PhD and Research Degrees.
- The Centre has had 10 years of continuous commercial sponsorship amounting to over £0.8m and has received grants from the Department of Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) – now the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills - and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Knowledge Transfer Partnership scheme.
- We were the winner of the ESRC award for “the best application of management or social science” in the 2007 National Knowledge Transfer Partnership Awards.
- Centre Director, Professor Nick Wilson, was awarded a University of Leeds ‘Certificate of Outstanding Achievement’ for ‘Academic Excellence in Enterprise and Knowledge Transfer’ in 2006.
- We set up the spin-out company, CreditScorer Ltd (CreditScorer.com), which provides risk and portfolio management solutions for lenders to the UK corporate sector. It was owned and controlled by the University of Leeds from inception in 2001 until it was acquired by Bisnode AB in 2007.
- We have contributed research and analysis to inform policy decisions and implementation. Including work for HM Treasury, HMRC and the National Audit Office.
Credit management is established on the curriculum within the University of Leeds degree programmes, particularly in the area of risk modelling and credit scoring. These include our BSc Accounting and Finance and MSc Accounting and Finance programmes.
Doctoral research has been an integral part of the work carried out by the Centre and has achieved a number of PhDs in areas ranging from risk modelling, trade credit and working capital management to private equity and venture capital investment. CMRC invites applicants for PhDs in credit related research. Further information on our PhD and Research Degrees can be found here.