Dr Sundeep Aulakh
- Position: University Acad Fellow-New World of Work
- Areas of expertise: Organization & management of professional service firms; sociology of professions; legal profession; management consultants; regulation, ethics, compliance; AI digital technologies; discourse analysis
- Email: S.Aulakh@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8878
- Location: G.44 Maurice Keyworth
- Website: Researchgate | ORCID
I joined WERD as an ESRC/SAMS Management and Business Development Fellow in July 2013 and began my appointment as University Academic Fellow two years later (August 2015).
Before this, I held academic positions at the Institute of Local Government Studies, University of Birmingham, and the Department of Land Economy, University of Cambridge.
I also spent a number of years working as an economic development consultant based in Sheffield where I specialised in business support, innovation & competitiveness and managed wide-ranging research projects commissioned by UK & Scottish government departments, regional and local public-sector organizations, as well as not-for-profit bodies.
I undertook my PhD at the Centre for Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University, graduating in 2002.
- LUBS Athena SWAN Self Assessment Team
- I am a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Professions & Organization.
Focusing on professions and professional organizations, my research interests include:
- AI and lawtech discourse, technological innovation in legal services and its impact on providers, practitioners, and the prospects for social justice.
- Liberalization of, and competition in, professional services.
- Professional associations - their functions, relevance, and future prospects.
- Routes to professionalization; licensing, credentialing, and others forms of occupational closure.
- The organization, management & financialization of professional service firms (PSFs).
- Market dynamics, new organizational forms, and business models delivering professional services.
- Professionalism, misconduct, ethics, discipline, regulation (of conduct) and compliance.
- Diversity, equality & inclusion in professional occupations, and practitioner well-being.
- PhD Welfare state restructuring & the enabling role of local government.
- BA (Hons.) Community Management
- HND Business and Finance
I mainly teach the sociology and economics of management consulting, and digital research methods.
I am interested in supervising PhD candidates with similar research interests.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change