Esra is a postgraduate researcher at Leeds University Business School, University of Leeds UK. Her research is supported by the prestigious Marketing Studentship from Leeds University Business School. She has an MSC in International Marketing (Distinction) from Kings College London, UK (2015), and BA (Hons) in Business and Marketing (First Class) from Middlesex University (2014) where she was awarded the merit-based regional scholarship for the three years of her degree. Her degree is also recognised by CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing).
Esra has been keen on research-based activity since early academic years. Worked as Assistant Project Manager (R&D) for development projects at ILO (UN Subsidiary) and NRSP (Pakistan Government’s Rural Support Programme). The ILO (International Labour Organisation) project was based on mainstreaming the bonded labour to salary based labour. The NRSP (National Rural Support Programme) project provided microfinance to empower women in rural areas of Punjab to set up micro-businesses. Both the projects involved rigorous field research while NRSP project even followed an ethnographic research methodology.
Working as Market Researcher at Kings College London she conducted academic research, on market performance when privacy is breached within American Cooperations, from 2015-2017. She is currently working as a Market Researcher at Leeds University (Marketing Division) and Middlesex University. She is an ad hoc sub-reviewer for a number of marketing academic conferences such as AMA Global Sig and GMC.
Esra as a social entrepreneur secured investment from three angel investors and established and supervises a not-for-profit school (Smile International Learning School) in rural Pakistan since 2015. She established the school after conducting interview-based field research and identifying the core handicaps of the local community. From the outcome of this research, the school was developed is to provide subsidized and Oxford standardized education (PBL) from Nursery to grade 7 to students within low-income brackets so that they can compete with the urban schooling system. This project also successfully generates employment for educated rural females with restricted mobility to empower the local community.
She has also worked on multi-platform, public-relations campaigns such as Doritos Mariachi Band (Freud Communications UK) and X-Factor along with Magna Carta Festival (Chelgate PR UK). This allowed her to expand her promotional skills in international event management which were acquired initially working for the organisation committee for World Islamic Economic Forum (Pakistan). Furthermore working in public relations in the UK and freelance marketing for start-ups (fashion, interior design, health & lifestyle, hospitality) in emerging markets (UAE, Pakistan) allowed her to hone her skills in crisis management PR, digital marketing, SEO, blogging, website development and copywriting from 2013 to 2020.
Her additional marketing industry experience was working as an Assistant Marketing Manager at Voki Telecom UK from July 2013-October 2014. Working for this B2B Telecommunications startup, where her role involved researching consumer trends within the telecom industry and identifying potential growth markets. She developed a B2B promotional strategy and communicated services and growth strategy to business clients and finally helped secure investment for the project.
- Module Leader (2020-Ongoing): Leading and teaching the module for LUBS1860 Fundamentals of Marketing
- Module Assistant (February-May 2021): Assisting and teaching International Business students with data analysis for dissertations for LUBS 3321 International Business
- Module Assistant (2020): LUBS1175 Global Entrepreneurship (Positive Student Teaching Evaluations)
- Tutor Leeds University Business School (2020) (Summer term): Tutored MSC Marketing Students remotely, to familiarise with quantitative data analysis techniques for their dissertations with a focus on experiment designs
- Tutor Leeds University Business School (2019): Tutoring MSC Marketing Students to familiarise them with data analysis techniques within their dissertation projects
- Shadowed and assisting module for Branding (MA Marketing and Advertising) & Principles of Marketing (BSC International Business and Marketing) at Leeds University Business School (2018)
- Middlesex Student Learning Assistant February (July 2013): (Peer Teaching Assistant Scheme): Taught material for the Economics and Accounting course, to aid student development, this led to Middlesex’s Marketing faculty awarding her an ‘SLA Excellence Certificate’
Interests: Consumer behavior, Financial decision-making (construal), Message framing
Methods: Experimental Research, Biometrics, Structural Equation Modeling, Text Analysis, Ethnographic Field Research (UN/ Microfinance/Pakistan Government led Projects)
Software/Programming Language: SPSS, AMOS, R, Python, Biometric and Online Eye-tracking technology
- AMA (American Marketing Association)
- CIM (Chartered Institute of Marketing)
- APA (American Psychological Association)
- AMS (American Marketing Science)
- APS (American Psychological Society)
- SCP (Society of Consumer Psychology)
- ACR (Association of Consumer Research)
- GAMMA (Global Alliance of Marketing and Management Associations)
- KSMS (Korean Academy of Marketing Science)
Research Group & Institutes
- Global and Strategic Marketing Research Centre (GLOSMARC)
Vice-Chair Special Projects and Partnerships for AMA (American Marketing Association) Doc Sig-(2020-Ongoing)
- Establishing links with renowned Marketing academics Internationally and inviting them to share with the doctoral community.
- Leading to organize and marketing these online events such as live webinars, YouTube videos, and job markets workshops.
- And networking and inviting various international universities to inform their Ph.D. community regarding the topic under discussion within these events to successfully increase the membership of AMA Doc Sig and have a successful two-way interaction
Journal Manuscript Reviewer for Psychology & Marketing
Ad-Hoc Conference Reviewer
Track Chair: Decision Making in International Marketing sessions 1 and 2 at 2020 Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Asif, E. & Papadopoulou, C. (2021). “We don’t have a planet B: Cross-cultural perspective of mindset effects of future climate belief”, Proceedings of the 2021 AMA Global Sig Conference, Taormina, Sicily.
- Asif, E. & Papadopoulou, C. (2021). “An investigation into cross-cultural mindset effects on future climate beliefs”, Proceedings of the 2021 AMS Virtual Annual Conference.
- Asif, E. & Papadopoulou, C. (2020). “‘I want you to panic’: Cross-cultural perspectives on climate change scepticism”. Proceedings of 2020 Global Marketing Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Asif, E. Brakus, JJ. & Biraglia, A. (2020). "Curious Abstraction: How Message Abstraction and Financial Scarcity Affect Processing of Mortgage Ads". Proceedings of 2020 Association for Consumer Research Annual Conference, Paris, France.https://www.acrwebsite.org/volumes/v48/acr_vol48_2661655.pdf.
- Asif, E. & Plangger, K. (2016). “Cartoons as Advertising Media: An experimental study on Obesity Communication”, Proceedings of 2016 Global Marketing Conference, Hong Kong.
- Leeds Doctoral Showcase Finalist (First Marketing Student to be Finalist)-3MT (Curious Case of Abstract Advertisements): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWCbi3Qd8vg
- Apprised the Faculty of Leeds Business School of my findings of my Research Paper, ‘How Visual Message Abstraction Impacts Curiosity when processing Mortgage Advertisement’.
- Teacher Training Workshop (Methodology during Covid Pandemic) (21 April 2021): Conducted a Training Workshop of LUBS Ph.D.’s on Methodology and Philosophy of teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students, more emphasis on Online techniques for connecting with the students within Pandemic Environment.
- Asif, E. (2021). How concrete and abstract marketing can affect home-buyers’ mortgage decisions. [Blog] Global & Strategic Marketing Research Centre Research and Innovation Blog, Available at: https://business.leeds.ac.uk/dir-record/research-blog/1849/how-concrete-and-abstract-marketing-can-affect-home-buyers-mortgage-decision
- Asif, E (2021).Press coverage of working paper ‘Curious Abstraction: How Concrete and Abstract Marketing Effect Mortgage Decision Making’ in Tribune (Mainstream English language International and Pakistan Newspaper): Effective messaging must for mortgage decision-making: https://tribune.com.pk/story/2300874/effective-messaging-for-mortgage-decision-making
- Asif, E (2021). Press coverage of ‘Curious Abstraction: How Concrete and Abstract Marketing Effect Mortgage Decision Making’ in Pakistan Observer (Mainstream National Newspaper) Economy Watch: https://pakobserver.net/effective-messaging-for-mortgage-decision-making/
Middlesex University: Regional Merit Scholarship (3 Years)
Oxford Spring School: (Funded by University of Leeds)
Partnered and endorsed by Ministry of Climate Change Pakistan for Working Paper, “Mindsets impact on climate change skepticism: Case of Pakistan”
- MSc International Marketing- Kings College London (Distinction)
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing- Middlesex University, London (First Class)
- Oxford Spring School (Lady Margaret Hall) - Advanced Research Methods
- London School of Economics Summer School-HRM & Entrepreneurship