2017 Study Tour - Switzerland
In 2017, students were given the opportunity to visit the ZHAW School of Management and Law in Winterthur, Switzerland, taking in a series of company visits and talks over the week. Days usually consisted of an academic lecture in the morning and a company visit in the afternoon.
Lectures were delivered by ZHAW academics including Dr Florian Keller, a veteran of Swiss telecommunications company Swisscom and the British Foreign Office, and guest lecturers including Elmar Mock, co-creator of the world-famous Swatch watch.
Company visits on the trip were based around a factory or headquarters tour, followed by an engaging question and answer session with the host. Students visited the headquarters of: Microsoft Switzerland; confectionery manufacturer Sprüngli; robotics and automation firm ABB; market research company Link Institut; and Renault Switzerland.
Nat Southworth, an Executive MBA student who took part in the tour, appreciated the calibre of tour guide on the visits, "Having held a Director position I was impressed by the time given by and seniority of personnel who hosted the student visits. We had Chairmen, Managing Directors, and country General Managers hosting us. This meant the level of discussion was strategic, and we could ask challenging questions of the business decision maker."
As a student on the Executive MBA at Leeds, you may have the opportunity to take part in a one or two-week long international study tour. Study tours include visits to local companies and partner business schools, with time to visit local places of interest.
Typically we try and offer a variety of trips each year to one or more of our partner schools outside the UK. Study tours will be confirmed during your year of study. Please note: these trips are optional and not covered by the basic programme fees.
About the tour:
- Visit local companies and partner business schools
- Enjoy business seminars and networking opportunities with local students, businesses and leaders
- Tour cultural sites and local places of interest
- Study tours usually take place in June or July
Benefits of a study tour:
- Immerse yourself in another culture
- Experience the challenges and opportunities facing organisations around the world
- Extend your global awareness and enhance your international perspective as a manager
Companies we've visited:
- Microsoft - Switzerland
- Renault - Switzerland
- Link Institut - Switzerland
- Lufthansa - Germany
- Deutsche Bank - Germany
- Bosch - Germany
- PANATecs - Germany
- Porsche - Germany
- Bloomberg - Brazil
- Petrobras - Brazil
- Santos Brazil - Brazil
- China-Britain Business Council - China
- Standard Chartered Bank - China
- Lenovo - China