Dr Danat Valizade
- Position: Associate Professor in Quantitative Methods
- Areas of expertise: Quality of working lives, employee voice and representation, inequalities at work, quantitative social sciences
- Email: D.Valizade@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0045
- Location: 1.03 31 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I hold degrees in Economics and Cultural Studies and a PhD in Business and Economic studies. Prior to joining the Faculty I held senior positions within the trade union movement in Russia and taught labour history and employment relations at St Petersburg University of Humanities and Social Sciences. I published in leading international peer-reviewed sociology, management and industrial relations journals and obtained external funding from the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), the European Parliament, the National Highways and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). I am currently leading the work on a nationally representative analysis of employers' digital practices at work as part of the ESRC research centre on digital futures at work (Digit).
I am a Co-Editor in Chief of New Technology, Work and Employment (3* ABS) and an Editor of Work, Employment and Society (4* ABS). I previously sat on the executive committee of the British Universities Industrial Relations Associations (BUIRA) and led BUIRA doctoral network.
My research interests coalesce around the changing nature of work with a specific focus on the quality of working lives, inequalities and digital futures at work. My empirical research applies advanced econometrics and machine learning to foster a better understanding of causal mechanisms underpinning contemporary employment relations. I welcome PhD applications from prospective candidates interested in structural analysis of labour markets and wider areas concerning the future of work agenda. I particularly welcome students interested in advanced quantitative methods.
- PhD in Business and Economic Studies (2016, University of Leeds)
- Candidate of Sciences (2010, St Petersburg University of Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Diploma in Economics (2006, St Petersburg University of Humanities and Social Sciences)
- British Universities Industrial Relations Association (executive committee)
- The Society for Advancement in Socio-Economics
- Labor and Employment Relations Association
- British Sociological Association
I teach across a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules including research methods, human resource management and people analytics modules. As part of the Q-Step initiative I have designed and led on several flagship modules that utilise innovative approaches to teaching statistical science and data analytics to social science students.
I am a programme director for the MSc in Data Analytics and Human Resource Managment and have supervised masters dissertation and doctoral students to completion.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change