Research and impact
The Marketing Department is an established and esteemed centre of excellence for scholarly research work and one of the leading centres of research in marketing in Europe. Our supportive research environment and range of collaborative projects and activities serve to elevate members' research skills and knowledge in order to contribute innovative and impactful ideas to the marketing field.
Led by Professor Josko Brakus, Head of the Marketing Department and Professor Costas Katsikeas, Arnold Ziff Research Chair in Marketing and International Management, our research involves an active community of academics at different levels of seniority, PhD students and international visiting fellows. The Department prides itself on cutting-edge scholarship and on its international collaboration with leading marketing researchers and business schools worldwide. Activities centre on two strands of high level research:
- Global and Strategic Marketing Research Centre (GLOSMARC). This concentrates on strategic marketing issues in international markets (e.g. strategy standardisation or adaptation), exporting, international strategic alliances, buyer/seller relationships, marketing strategy planning and performance outcomes, building and sustaining competitive advantage, retail management and green marketing strategies, among others.
- Consumer Behaviour, Branding and Communications. This focuses on branding (eg brand extensions), advertising, processes of communication in consumption, relationship marketing, ethical marketing, consumer knowledge, core consumer behaviour issues (eg consumer decision-making) and allied topics.
Scholarly research in these areas is an important contributor to the Marketing Department’s teaching strategy, with particular reference to our well established Masters awards in Marketing. Staff contribute to forms of research-led teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Members of the Department have published work of international excellence and have engaged with companies, senior executives and academics across five continents.
- Invitations for presentations at leading international conferences
- Conference and journal article prizes
- Invitations to join Editorial Boards of scholarly journals; and ultimately publications in leading scholarly journals including:
- Decision Sciences
- European Journal of Marketing
- Industrial Marketing Management
- International Journal of Research in Marketing
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Journal of Advertising
- Journal of Consumer Psychology
- Journal of International Business Studies
- Journal of International Marketing
- Journal of Marketing
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Journal of Retailing
- Marketing Science
- Organization Science
- Psychology & Marketing
- Strategic Management Journal.
The Department operates an active seminar programme and organises workshops for both staff and research students.
Within the last few years, research seminars have been delivered by internationally prominent speakers including Dan Bello of Georgia State University, Adamantios Diamantopoulos of the University of Vienna, David Griffith of Michigan State University, Charles Hofacker of Florida State University, Jaideep Prabhu of Cambridge University, Narongsak (Tek) Thongpapanl of Goodman School of Business and Kelly Hewitt of Haslam College of Business.