Fintech and the future of finance
- Date: Wednesday 5 June 2019, 15:30 – 19:00
- Location: Double Tree by Hilton Hotel, Leeds
- Type: Ideas in Practice, Seminars and lectures
- Cost: Free
This is an event in the Ideas in Practice series taking place in Leeds on Wednesday 5 June 2019
Fintech is seen as one of the most significant developments in financial services since the introduction of the internet. Bringing together advances in technology such as AI or new technology such as distributed ledgers and smart contracts, it offers the potential to revolutionise finance at both a global and local scale.
This session will present an overview of the newly established Centre for Financial Technology and Innovation at the University of Leeds, its aims, ambitions and areas of expertise. There will be a keynote speech from Agriledger, who are partnering with Leeds and will talk about their journey so far, and why they are choosing to work with the Centre.
As well as this, there will be a panel discussion that will cover what are the biggest opportunities that Fintech brings and what are the biggest threats and will cover issues from trust and ethics to cyber security and critical infrastructure.
Join our ‘Ideas in Practice’ twilight seminar to:
- Hear insights from the Centre director as to the ambition and ongoing work that the Centre is currently engaged in.
- See how this new approach to research is already starting have an impact and how engagement is benefiting both firms and the University.
- Take part in a discussion with experts from across the industry as to the opportunities and threat of Fintech.
|4.00pm||Welcome and introduction: Mark Stuart, Pro Dean for Research and Innovation, Leeds University Business School|
|4.10pm||Presentation: The Centre for Financial Technology and Innovation
Iain Clacher, Pro-Dean – International, Associate Professor in Accounting and Finance, Leeds University Business School
Presentation: Opportunities and challenges facing the FinTech and RegTech sectors
Thomas Bowie, Associate, Squire Patton Boggs Solicitors
Presentation: TOPIC TBC
Mohammed Chunggaze, Agriledger
|5.10pm||Panel and audience discussion
Panel will include the speakers above.
|6pm||Canapes, wine and networking|