Dr Jane Khayesi
- Position: Lecturer in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Areas of expertise: Social capital/networks; Sustainable development & entrepreneurship; Antecedents of firm performance; Rural electrification & entrepreneurship; Informal sector; Entrepreneurship in emerging economies.
- Email: J.Khayesi@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Charles Thackrah
- Website: | ORCID
Dr. Jane Khayesi (PhD, PGCHEP, MSc, BBA [Hons]) joined Leeds University Business School in August 2020. She holds a PhD degree in Management from the University of Lausanne (received a prize for the best doctoral thesis in the faculty of Business and Economics), a postdoc from Imperial College Business School, a PGCHEP from the University of Essex and an MSc in Entrepreneurship from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology. She is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy, United Kingdom. She is an experienced higher education teacher, researcher and consultant in management and entrepreneurship.
Dr. Khayesi publishes in leading journals such as Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Academy of Management Journal and the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. She presents regularly at entrepreneurship and management conferences such as Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Academy of Management and Africa Academy of Management.
Prior to joining Leeds University Business School, Dr. Khayesi held teaching and research positions at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland, Imperial College Business School in the United Kingdom and Essex Business School in the United Kingdom. She has undertaken collaborative projects with researchers from Imperial College Business School in the United Kingdom, University of Lausanne in Switzerland, Southampton University in the United Kingdom, University of Nairobi in Kenya and Makerere University Business School in Uganda. She recently started collaborating with researchers from Fribourg School of Management in Switzerland.
- Director, MSc in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Programme
Dr. Khayesi conducts research on:
- social capital and networks among small and medium sized firms.
- antecedents of firm performance among small and medium sized firms
- rural electrification and entrepreneurial development
- the informal sector
- contextual influences on entrepreneurial activities and outcomes
- entrepreneurship in emerging/developing economies
The geographical contexts for her research span emerging economies such as Africa. She has conducted research using quantitative, experimental, field and applied research approaches. She regularly reviews journal manuscripts and book chapters.
- PhD in Management, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Postdoc, Imperial College Business School, UK
- PGCHEP, University of Essex, UK
- MSc in Entrepreneurship, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Dr. Khayesi is the Director of the MSc in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship programme and a lecturer in enterprise and entrepreneurship at the Center for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies at Leeds University Business School.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies