I am a Postgraduate Researcher at the Leeds University Business School (LUBS). I have over four years of teaching experience at the tertiary level. I have lectured at the University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana. My main research interest lies in the area of Development Economics particularly with issues relating to poverty, inequality, corruption, finance, and health.
2018 to 2021: Demonstrator at the School of Economics, University of Cape Coast (UCC), Ghana
2017 to 2021: Research Assistant at the Directorate of Research, Innovation, and Consultancy (DRIC), UCC.
2019–2020: Course Tutor at the Institute for Education, UCC.
2019 to 2021: Course Tutor at the College of Distance Education (CoDE), UCC.
Jan. to Augt 2021: Regional Field Supervisor for the Ghana 2021 Population and Housing Census, Ghana Statistical Service, Ghana
2019 to 2020: Master trainer & Trainer for the Ghana 2020 Population & Housing Census, Ghana Statistical Service (GSS)
2017–2021: Supervisor for the On-campus and Off-cam teaching Practice, Center for Teacher Professional Development, UCC.
2017–2020: Assistant Examiner for the West African Examination Council-WAEC, Ghana.
2015-2016: Teaching and Research Assistant, UCC, Ghana
Awards and Scholarships
2021: Leeds University Business School (LUBS) Economics Division Scholarship
2018: Dean’s Award of Excellence for Best Thesis in the School of Economics, UCC.
2015: Dean’s Awards for First Class Student, College of Education Studies, UCC
2014; Dean’s Awards for High Academic Performance College of Education Studies, UCC
Grants and Consultancy Services
2020: Co-Investigator, Tertiary Education in Ghanaian Prisons Through Distance Learning: A Case Study of Nsawam.Prisons. Founded by Funded by Directorate of Research, Innovation and Consultancy (DRIC), University of Cape Coast (DRIC-UCC)
2020: Co-Investigator, Building resilience through Bundled Financial Services and Agronomic Practices among Smallholder farmers in Northern Ghana. Seed Grant proposal (Funded by ICED and BASIS)
2020: Co-Investigator, Consultancy on Sat4Business Credit Scoring Project in Ghana. Funded by Solidaridad West Africa
2020: Co-Investigator, Consultancy on Mid-Term Evaluation of Cocoa Rehabilitation and Intensification Programme (CORIP II) in Ghana, Sponsored by Solidaridad West Africa, through DRIC, UCC
2019: Co-Investigator, Cost of Raising Children and implication for Widowhood in Ghana [Funded by Directorate of Research, Innovation and Consultancy (DRIC), University of Cape Coast (DRIC-UCC)
I am a multidisciplinary researcher and am particularly interested in research on issues relating to poverty, inequality, corruption, finance, and health.
- Bukari., C., Broermann., S., & Okai. D. (2021). Energy poverty and health expenditure: Evidence from Ghana. Energy economics, DOI: 10.1016/j.eneco.2021.105565
- Bukari, C., Aning-Agyei, M. A., Kyeremeh, C., Essilfie, G., Amuquandoh, K. F., Owusu, A. A., ... & Bukari, K. I. (2021).Effect of COVID-19 on Household Food Insecurity and Poverty: Evidence from Ghana. Social indicators research, 1-25. DOI: 10.1007/s11205-021-02766-9
- Koomson. I., Bukari., C., & Villano. R.A. (2021). Mobile money adoption and response to idiosyncratic shocks: Empirics from five selected countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 167, 120728. DOI: 10.1016/j.techfore.2021.120728
- Bukari, C., Essilfie, G., Aning-Agyei, M. A., Otoo, I. C., Kyeremeh, C., Owusu, A. A., ... & Bukari, K. I. (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on poverty and living standards in Ghana: A micro-perspective. Cogent Economics & Finance, 9(1), 1879716. DOI: 10.1080/23322039.2021.1879716
- Bukari, C., Peprah, J.A., Ayifah, R.N.Y., & Annim, S.K. (2020) Effects of Credit ‘Plus’ on Poverty Reduction in Ghana. The Journal of Development Studies, DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2020.1797689
- Bukari, C., Anaman, E.A. (2020) Corruption and firm innovation: a grease or sand in the wheels of commerce? Evidence from lower-middle and upper-middle income economies. Eurasian Business Review. DOI: 10.1007/s40821-020-00164-8
- Peprah. A.J., Koomson. I., Sebu. J., & Bukari., C (2020). Improving productivity among smallholder farmers in Ghana: Does financial inclusion matter? Agricultural Finance Review. DOI: 10.1108/AFR-12-2019-0132
- Owusu, A.A., Larbie E, & Bukari, C. (2020). Is Grit the Best Predictor of University Students’ Academic Achievement? Journal of Education and Practice. DOI: 10.7176/JEP/11-29-08
- Bukari, C., & Amenuku, A.M (2017). Difference in academic performance of economics students’ in public and private senior high schools within Cape Coast Metropolis in Ghana. Inter. J. Acad. Res. Educ. Rev. 5(1): 1-14 DOI: 10.14662/IJARER2017.001
Bukari, C., & Koomson, I. (2020). Adoption of Mobile Money for Healthcare Utilization and Spending in Rural Ghana. In Moving from the Millennium to the Sustainable Development Goals (pp. 37-60). Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-15-1556-9_3
- MPhil Economics, University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Bachelor of Education (Economics & Geography) - First Class honours, University of Cape Coast, Ghana