Ms Sally Chan
- Position: Senior Teaching Fellow in Marketing
- Areas of expertise: advertising; marketing communications; visual representation; ethical advertising; ethnic entrepreneurship
- Email: S.S.Y.Chan@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6847
- Location: 1.05 18 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate
Sally has over 25 years' experience as marketing lecturer at various Business Schools in the UK including; Manchester Metropolitan, Leeds Beckett and Plymouth universities before joining Leeds in 2006. Her subject specialism is advertising and marketing communications. Sally's strengths lie in her non-traditional teaching approach that focuses on practitioner input and practice via 'live' projects. She was winner of The Student Education Enhancement Award for Teaching Innovation in recognition of her excellence in learning and teaching within the Business School. Sally has extensive marketing experience as Marketing Research Consultant and was Director of KAN-GAR-ROO Ltd, an ideas and design company between 2012-2017, where she developed multidisciplinary workshops that facilitated the work of artists and designers with marketers.
- Head of Final Year -BA Business Management with Marketing
Sally's current research interest is based around ethical visual representation in advertising. She is currently working on the use of martial arts representational discourse in British advertising and BAME depictions in the media, focusing on the British Chinese experience.
Sally also has extensive consultancy experience, including observational research for KM Furniture Ltd, Asda Stores Ltd and focus group research for Unimeta BV (with the Design Support Centre). Sally has considerable empathy with design and her ability to generate visual data for use by designers led to the development of an innovative 'user' research methodology that evaluated how young children interacted with furniture.
- PhD Advertising (in progress), London School of Film Media and Design, University of West London
- MBA, Cardiff University
- BSc (Hons) Business & Management Studies, Salford University
- Postgraduate Certificate in Research Methodology, Leeds Metropolitan University
- Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education, Plymouth University
- American Marketing Association
As Module Leader in Advertising for the MA Advertising and Marketing and MA Advertising and Design programmes, Sally has a track record of engaging with advertising agencies and creative professionals including TBWA\Manchester, BKPL Productions, BBH London, and Ear to the Ground agency.
Sally is also the Module Leader in Company Marketing Projects for MSc International Marketing Management students where teams of students act as Marketing Consultants to 'live' businesses. Past clients have included BR Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Chain Bridge Honey Farm, Greencore Grocery Ltd, Crystal Maze Live Experience Ltd, and Leeds Kirkgate Market. Further details of the module may be found here https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/student-consultants-can-help-to-enrich-your-business-using-the-latest-skills-1-8279542
Sally's other duties include:
Dissertation supervisions:MA, MSc & MBA programmes
Placement Tutor: L'Oreal, Warner Brothers, Sky, The Body Shop, Nestle, M&S, Arcadia, Apple.
Realising Opportunities Tutor
Access to Leeds Tutor .
Research groups and institutes
- Global and Strategic Marketing Research Centre