Dr Nicky Shaw
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: Operations management; performance management; innovation
- Email: N.E.Shaw@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6848
- Location: 1.10 Charles Thackrah Building
PhD, University of Sheffield
BEng, (Hons) University of Sheffield
Having taken a mechanical / manufacturing engineering route to begin with, I moved in to the area of Management and Business when I joined Leeds University Business School in 1997. My PhD initiated my interest in performance management, which continues today in a wide variety of industry settings.
I have three main areas of current research: operations management, performance measurement and innovation. All three areas overlap to some degree with my primary teaching activities in operations management.
I have experience of teaching at all UG and PG levels, including taught PhD modules.
- Management Division PGR Director
- Co-Editor of the International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management
Since embarking upon my PhD I have been interested in performance measurement systems and their affect upon organizational systems and individuals' behaviours. The difficulty of measuring performance in the context of innovation generation and and diffusion has led to a recent project investigating innovation types and knowledge 'stickiness'. Applications of this have been in the fine chemicals and the utilities sectors. More recently I have explored digital transformation within policing and challenges arising from mult-agency working.
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- Member of the Operational Research Society
- Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
I am currently Module Leader on:
Masters level "Innovation in Operations and Information Systems" and the Executive MBA "Operations and Information Management".
Research groups and institutes
- Adaptation Information Management and Technology
- Centre for Operations and Supply Chain Research