Dr Suman Seth
- Position: Lecturer in Economics
- Areas of expertise: Development Economics; Public Economics with emphasis on Distributional Analysis; Applied Microeconomics; Welfare Economics (Applied); Applied Micro-econometrics
- Email: S.Seth@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2629
- Location: GM14 Maurice Keyworth Building
- Website: Curriculum Vitae | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I have joined the Leeds University Business School in 2015 as a Lecturer of Economics. I am also a Research Associate at the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI) within the Oxford Department of International Development at the University of Oxford. I have obtained a PhD degree in Economics from Vanderbilt University in the USA. After my PhD, I have served as a Research Office and as a Senior Research Officer at OPHI between 2010 and 2015. I am primarily interested in Development Economics with a particular emphasis on measurement methodologies and policy-oriented applications. Previously, I have served as consultants to the Regional Bureau of Latin America and the Caribbean, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), to the Development Research Groups at the World Bank, and to the Asian Development Bank.
My primary research interest lies in the measurement methodologies and their policy-oriented applications, especially in the context of poverty, inequality and welfare. I am actively involved in various research projects with Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI), who developed the well-known Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI). I have coauthored a book on income poverty measurement with the World Bank and also another book on Multidimensional Poverty Measurement and Analysis with OPHI researcher which is published by the Oxford University Press.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), UK, 2016
- Ph.D. in Economics, Vanderbilt University, USA, 2010
- M.Phil. in Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India, 2004
- M.Sc. in Economics, University of Calcutta, India, 2002
- B.Sc. (Hons.) in Economics, University of Calcutta, India, 2000
- Co-convenor, Multidimensional Poverty and Poverty Dynamics Study group, Development Studies Association, UK
- Board member, Centre for Global Development, University of Leeds
- Econometric Society
- Royal Economic Society
- Society of Social Choice and Welfare
- Society for the Study of Economic Inequality
I teach both undergraduate and postgraduate courses related to economic development. At the undergraduate level, I teach a module on issues on economic growth and another module on economics of developing countries. At the post graduate level, I co-teach a module on distributional analysis in economic development.