Dr Bin Xu
- Position: Associate Professor in Finance
- Email: B.Xu@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 7801
Dr Bin Xu is an Associate Professor of Finance at Leeds University Business School who joined the School in 2017. Prior to that, he worked as a Lecturer in Finance at Queen’s University Belfast. He received his PhD in Finance from Loughborough University. He has been a visiting researcher at the Norwegian School of Economics and Warwick Business School, and has academic exchange experience at the University of British Columbia.
His primary research areas are corporate finance and corporate governance. He is particularly interested in how corporate decisions and outcomes can be shaped by various stakeholders and capital market participants (e.g., customers, employees, competitors, analysts, short sellers) and managerial incentives. His research appears in Journal of Financial Economics and Journal of Corporate Finance, and has been featured in Harvard Business Review.
He is the Programme Director of MSc Financial Risk Management and has the experience of teaching a range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD courses (e.g., Corporate Finance, International Business Finance, Financial Reporting and Analysis, and Empirical Methods for Accounting and Finance Research). He is the recipient of QUB Rising Star Teaching Award in 2017.
Selected Working Papers
- “Do strong stakeholders keep firms out of wrongdoings? Evidence from major customer relationships”, with Jie Chen, Xunhua Su and Xuan Tian
- “Do firms respond to industry rising stars?”, with Ran Duchin and Xunhua Su
- “Does corporate social responsibility facilitate public debt financing?”, with Xin Chang and Yung Chiang Yang
Research groups and institutes
- International Banking Institute