Dr Nabi Omidvar
Nabi is an Associate Professor of AI in Finance and a faculty member of School of Computing and Leeds University Business School. Nabi is the current chair of the IEEE Taskforce on Large-Scale Global Optimization and a lead researcher in the Centre for Financial Technology and Innovation (FinTech) at the Univeristy of Leeds.
Nabi has worked on various aspects of continuous global optimization (single- and multi-objective) with special interest in developing algorithms to exploit problem structure for large-scale or high-dimensional optimization. He has made several award winning contributions to the field of large-scale global optimization including the differential grouping algorithm which won the IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation best paper award in 2017 and another algorithm which won the large-scale global optimization competition in IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation in 2019.
His current research interests are: the application of variable interaction analysis to improve the training efficiency of high-dimensional (deep) learning algorithm, applications of artificial intelligence in financial services such as credit scoring, and investigating structural aspect of large-scale continuous optimization problems such as variable interaction and its impact on problems with overlapping components, noise, and dynamic landscapes.
- PhD, Computer Science, RMIT University, 2016
- BSc, Mathematics (Statistics), RMIT University, 2014
- BSc, Computer Science (1st class honours), RMIT University, 2010
- IEEE Computational Intelligence Society
- IEEE Taskforce on Large-Scale Global Optimization (Chair)
- Mr Luis Avendano Munoz (lead supervisor)
- Mr Hao Tan (lead supervisor)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Financial Technology