Dr Militza Callinan
- Position: Lecturer in Organizational Behaviour & HRM
- Areas of expertise: organizational behaviour; organizational psychology; personality and individual differences; team working; coaching; self-presentation
- Email: M.Callinan@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6863
- Location: 2.32 Charles Thackrah
- Website: LinkedIn
I am an experienced educator, work psychologist, research supervisor and coach. For over a decade I have been designing and delivering MBA, Executive MBA, Masters and Undergraduate courses in organizational behaviour and work psychology at LUBS and held the role of Programme Director for our MSc Management for 4 years. I supervise PhD students as well as master's and undergraduate students' dissertation research projects. Professionally, I am a Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and most recently, in 2018, qualified as a Senior Coaching Practitioner with the Oxford School of Coaching and Mentoring.
I joined LUBS in 2002, gaining my PhD in Organizational Psychology from Manchester Business School in 2007 after studying part-time alongside teaching. Prior to that, I worked with Professor Ivan Robertson as a Research Associate and then Assistant Director of the SHL/UMIST Research Centre in Work & Organizational Psychology based at Manchester School of Management, (now Manchester Business School) for 5 years. Before returing to education to study psychology as an undergraduate at the University of Birmingham and then for an MSc Organizational Psychology at Manchester School of Management, I worked as a sales professional in various organizations and it was in those roles, in the process of trying to make the sale, that my interest in psychology all began!
- Module Leader MBA & EMBA
- PhD supervisor
- Master's dissertation supervisor
My research interests centre on individual differences and behaviour, most particularly personality, and how this knowledge is applied in work organizations for assessment, selection and development. Specific current interests are in team personality composition, personality stability and intentional personality change and deceptive self-presentation.
I have had work published in the International Journal of Selection and Assessment, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, and the British Journal of Psychology and been awarded over £200k of research funding from the Economic and Social Research Council and the Leverhulme Trust.
- PhD Organizational Psychology
- CPsychol, Chartered Psychologist
- PGCTLHE, Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- FHEA, Fellow Higher Education Academy
- AdDip, Advanced Practitioner Diploma in Professional Coach-Mentoring
- BPS, British Psychological Society
- EMCC, European Coaching and Mentoring Council
- APS, Association of Psychological Science
- SIOP, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- APA, American Psychological Association
My current teaching focus is design, delivery and ongoing development of modules on organizational behaviour for our MBA programmes.
Two highlights from my student's feedback include appearing on the LUBS Alumni Favouite Lecturer List in 2014 which recognised those who left a lasting impression and receiving 13 student nominations for a LUBS Partnership Award in 2018 and the runner-up spot for Inspirational Teaching.
Research groups and institutes
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre