LUBS Connect Step Challenge
Do you want to connect with other Business School graduates, students and staff from across the world? Are you looking for an excuse to get active? Do you want to share the beauty of your local area? If so, this global LUBS Connect Step Challenge is for you!
In collaboration with the Get Out, Get Active team at the University of Leeds, the LUBS alumni team have set up a global step challenge for Business School alumni, students and staff to encourage you to get moving. This could be going for a walk or a run on your lunch break or simply making an effort to take more mini breaks in between meetings.
What is a step challenge?
The idea is simple:
- Sign up by 23:59 hrs (GMT) on Monday 6 March 2023 to be put in an international team
- The challenge runs from 13-19 March 2023
- Take as many steps as you can during the week (walk, run, hop, skip, jump… it all counts!) and encourage your team mates to do the same
- Share photos to see if you can win extra points for your team
- Winners announced on Wednesday 22 March 2023
You don’t have to be a keen walker or runner to take part; all abilities are welcome. The LUBS alumni team will be taking part too, so we can motivate each other to be more active!
The LUBS Connect Step Challenge rules
- Each step challenge team consists of around 10 people. We will allocate you to a randomly assigned team. We encourage you to create your own themed team name once you are grouped.
- The challenge begins on Monday 13 March 2023 at 00:00 (your local time). From that point onward all team members will individually log their steps in our challenge form throughout the week. We encourage you to submit a daily total of steps at the end of each day. Please see information below about how you can track your steps.
- Participants upload their photos and words of encouragement to others to the LUBS connect step challenge chat on Signal. Download the Signal app so that you’re ready to take part in the challenge. A few days before the challenge starts, you will be added to the step challenge chat on Signal and be put into a team where you will decide on your team name. Please be aware that when you are added to the Signal chat group, other participants will be able to see your name and mobile number. Please note the Signal app is currently unavailable in China.
- The challenge finishes on Sunday 19 March 2023 at 23:59 hrs (your local time). The team accumulating the most steps overall “wins” the step challenge. The winners will be revealed on Wednesday 30 March 2022.
Apps to measure your steps
Most smartphones have an in-built fitness/health app that will measure your steps when your device is on you. For example, Health on iOS and Google Fit on Android.
Please see below for some further suggestions on apps that track step count:
- Pacer- activity tracker, step counter and more. Available on iOS and Android
- Fitbit- you don’t actually need a Fitbit tracker in order to use the Fitbit app. This app can record your steps. Available on iOS and Android
- GoogleFit- in built on Android phones but also available on iOS
- MapMyWalk- similar to its running counterpart, MapMyWalk tracks your walk and displays your route on a map. It records various stats including step count and distance. Available on iOS and Android
- StepsApp- any wheelchair users can use this app if you have an Apple watch. Available on iOS and Android
If you don’t have the tech to support any of the above apps then there are affordable pedometers you can purchase from the likes of Amazon.
There are some bonuses available to help motivate you and get your team to the finish line. There are 3 photo bonus categories:
- Photo of a local plant/flower/flora
- Photo of a sunrise/sunset
- Photo of a favourite local place of interest
You can be as creative as you like. We would like to share your photos for marketing purposes.
- 3,000 steps awarded to the winner of the best photo in each photo category
- 2,000 steps awarded for second place in each photo category
- 1,000 steps awarded for third place in each photo category
Hopefully this will give you the motivation to get outside whatever the weather and is a great chance to virtually “meet” people whilst keeping yourself active.
Sign up now!
Sign up by 23:59 hrs (GMT) on Monday 6 March 2023. You will then be added to the LUBS connect step challenge Signal chat.
If you’ve got any questions, please send us an email. We’d love to hear from you.