- Position: Lecturer in Human Resource Management & Management Consulting
- Areas of expertise: Human Resource Management, Management Consulting, Strategic HRM, Project Management, Employment Law, People Analytics, Reward Management, Pay Structures, Performance Management & Employee Motivation
- Email: M.C.Butterick@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0364
- Location: 2.11 18-26 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: Reach Higher Human Resources™ | Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation & Change | Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
Mark has worked in operational management and senior HR roles for over twenty years. He has managed large teams of direct/indirect employees and subject matter experts both as an operational manager and, for many years, as an HR and employment law professional. He has worked across the UK and internationally delivering highly challenging human capital consultancy roles and projects.
He has worked in operational management, senior HRBP, Head of HR, HR Director and consultancy roles for many prominent organisations including: Compass, Wickes, Veolia, Xchanging and Royal Mail Group. He has provided strategic HR support to headcounts of up to 7,000, managed budgets of up to £14 million and advised extensively at executive board level.
Mark has received a number of prestigious awards during his career. In 2006 he received a Certificate of Individual Achievement from Henri Proglio, Chairman and CEO of Veolia at The Law Society in London. He was also winner of the Interserve Divisional People Development Award in 2011 after successfully delivering a broad spectrum of strategic organisational development projects that generated significant commercial results.
In terms of professional qualifications Mark successfully completed a BA (Hons) in History at the University of Central Lancashire in 1999 and a Masters degree (MA) in HR and Employment Law at the University of Leeds in 2005. He then qualified as a HR Practitioner at the University of Huddersfield in 2006 where he was admitted as a Certified Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). After a further six years working in senior HR roles Mark was subsequently admitted as a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD (CFCIPD) in 2011.
Mark is PRINCE2 qualified at both foundation and practitioner level, NEBOSH level 3 qualified and a fully qualified DISC psychometric practitioner. He holds a Group Training Certificate from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (AIIRSM) and Technician Membership of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (Tech IOSH).
In 2012 Mark became an independent HR Consultant and Project Director. This led to the creation of Reach Higher Human Resources™, a concept that he developed in to a limited company and a business that now enjoys a proven track record of successful project delivery and client satisfaction. In addition to providing specialist consultancy expertise to many private clients across various sectors RHHR™ has also provided pro bono expertise to a variety of charitable organisations. Mark also volunteered as a mentor on the CIPD’s Steps Ahead initiative and assisted with the national roll out of this groundbreaking project.
In 2015 Mark began his complementary career as a Lecturer in Reward Management, Pay Structures, Performance Management and Employee Motivation at Bradford University School of Management. In 2016 he was subsequently invited to become Lecturer in Employment Law to MSc postgraduates at Loughborough University, where he was the Course Leader at the School of Business and Economics. Mark designed, wrote and then developed this fully CIPD accredited course as a new subject at the university and experienced a threefold increase in student numbers during the first three years of delivery.
In 2019 Mark successfully completed a Certificate in Academic Practice at Loughborough University and was admitted as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). In 2019 he also joined Leeds University Business School and the Centre for Employment Relations Innovation and Change (CERIC) as a part-time Lecturer in Human Resource Management & Management Consulting. These subjects are taught at both undergraduate and Masters level and are CIPD and CMI accredited respectively.
In 2020 Mark was admitted as a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI). He also began learning Mandarin Chinese at the University of Leeds Business Confucius Institute.
In 2021 Mark was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA). He was also invited to join Leeds University Business School's Pedagogic and Enhancement Committee as the representative of his department.
In 2022 Mark became Course Leader for LUBS0060 Introduction to HRM. This module provides students with insight into some of the key issues in HRM, including recent innovations in thinking and practice, social diversity and the management of Human Resources in an international environment. Mark also began lecturing on module LUBS5761 Strategic HRM and Talent Management, part of the University’s MBA programme.
- Undergraduate, MA & MSc postgraduate lecturing and teaching
- Dissertation supervisor (under and postgraduate)
- Personal and pastoral tutor
- Economic democracy
- Communication strategies and organisational effectiveness
- Employee engagement, motivation and productivity
- Employment law
- Workplace ethics and equality
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Social mobility
- Human Resource Management Journal
- Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation & Change
- Reach Higher Human Resources™ Blog
Non Published Research
- Racism and the Social and Cultural Impact of Black Footballers (BA (Hons) History, UCLan, 1999)
- Communication and Workers’ Cooperatives: A Case Study of Suma Wholefoods (MA HRM, University of Leeds, 2005)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Loughborough
- Certified Chartered MCIPD, University of Huddersfield
- MA Human Resource Management, University of Leeds
- BA (Hons) History, University of Central Lancashire
- Certified Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute
- Fellow Royal Society of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce
- Associate Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
- Technician Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- Certified NEBOSH Practitioner
- Certified PRINCE2 Practitioner, Axelos
- Certified DISC Psychometric Personal Profile Assesement Practitioner, Thomas International
- Mandarin Chinese Language Student at the University of Leeds Confucius Institute
Mark’s teaching specialisms are Human Resource Management and Management Consulting. These subjects are taught by Mark as key components of both the BA and MA in Human Resource Management, the MSc in Management Consulting and the Masters in Business Administration (MBA). In addition to lecturing and teaching responsibilities, Mark is also a personal tutor, dissertation supervisor and member of the Work and Employments Relations Department (WERD) academic team. He is also the representative of WERD on the Leeds University Business School Pedagogic and Enhancement Committee.
Modules that Mark has lectured, supervised or lead include:
- LUBS0060 Introduction to HRM
- LUBS2810 Business and the Legal Environment
- LUBS3311 Human Resource Management Dissertation
- LUBS3850 Contemporary Management Consulting
- LUBS3915 Employment Law
- LUBS5324M People Analytics: Strategy and Practice
- LUBS5325M Employment Law
- LUBS5588M Management Consulting: Facts, Theories & Issues
- LUBS5590M Management Consulting: The Consulting Life Cycle
- LUBS5594M Management Consulting Project
- LUBS5761M Strategic HRM and Talent Management MBA
MA, AIIRSM, Tech IOSH, PRINCE2, Chartered Fellow CIPD, Fellow HEA, Fellow CMI, Fellow RSA