- Position: Lecturer in Human Resource Management & Management Consulting
- Areas of expertise: Employment Law, Human Resource Management, Management Consulting, People Analytics, Reward Management, Pay Structures, Performance Management & Employee Motivation
- Email: M.C.Butterick@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1708
- Location: 2.11 18-26 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: Reach Higher Human Resources™ | Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
Mark has worked in operational management and senior HR roles for over twenty years. He has managed large teams of direct/indirect employees and subject matter experts both as an operational manager and, for many years, as an HR and employment law professional. He has worked across the UK and internationally delivering highly challenging roles and projects.
He worked in operational management, senior HRBP, Head of HR, HR Director and consultancy roles for many prominent organisations including: Compass, Wickes, Veolia, Xchanging and Royal Mail Group. He has provided strategic HR support to headcounts of up to 7,000, managed budgets of up to £14 million and advised extensively at executive board level.
Mark has received a number of prestigious awards during his career. In 2006 he received a Certificate of Individual Achievement from Henri Proglio, Chairman and CEO of Veolia at The Law Society in London. He was also winner of the Interserve Divisional People Development Award in 2011 after successfully delivering a broad spectrum of strategic organisational development projects that generated significant commercial results.
In terms of professional qualifications Mark successfully completed a BA (Hons) in History at the University of Central Lancashire in 1999 and a Masters degree (MA) in HR and Employment Law at the University of Leeds in 2005. He then qualified as a HR Practitioner at the University of Huddersfield in 2006 where he became a Certified Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD). After a further six years working in senior HR roles Mark subsequently became a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD in 2011 (CFCIPD).
Mark is PRINCE2 qualified at both foundation and practitioner level, NEBOSH level 3 qualified and a fully qualified DISC psychometric practitioner. He holds a Group Training Certificate from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (AIIRSM) and Technician Membership of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (Tech IOSH).
In 2012 Mark became an independent HR Consultant and Project Director. This led to the creation of Reach Higher Human Resources™, a concept that he developed in to a limited company and a business that now enjoys a proven track record of successful project delivery and client satisfaction.
In 2015 Mark began his complementary career as a Lecturer in Reward Management, Pay Structures, Performance Management and Employee Motivation at Bradford University School of Management. In 2016 he was subsequently invited to become Lecturer in Employment Law to MSc postgraduates at Loughborough University, where he was the Course Leader at the School of Business and Economics. Mark designed, wrote and then developed this fully CIPD accredited course as a new subject at the university and experienced a threefold increase in student numbers during the first three years of delivery.
In 2019 Mark successfully completed a Certificate in Academic Practice at Loughborough University and became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA). In 2019 he also joined Leeds University Business School as a Lecturer in Human Resource Management & Management Consulting. These subjects are taught at both undergraduate and Masters level and are CIPD and CMI accredited respectively. In 2020 Mark became a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI). He also began learning Mandarin Chinese with the Business Confucius Institute at the University of Leeds.
- Undergraduate, MA & MSc postgraduate lecturing and teaching
- Dissertation supervisor
- Personal tutor
Communication strategies and organisational effectiveness
Employee engagement, motivation and productivity
Workplace ethics and equality
- Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Loughborough
- Certified Chartered MCIPD, University of Huddersfield
- MA Human Resource Management, University of Leeds
- BA (Hons) History, University of Central Lancashire
- Certified Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute
- Associate Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
- Technician Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
- Certified NEBOSH Practitioner
- Certified PRINCE2 Practitioner, Axelos
- Certified DISC Psychometric Personal Profile Assesement Practitioner, Thomas International
- Former Mentor, CIPD Steps Ahead Programme
- Mandarin Chinese Language Student at the University of Leeds Confucius Institute
Mark’s current teaching specialisms are Human Resource Management, People Analytics, Employment Law and Management Consulting. These subjects are taught as component modules of Leeds University Business School’s undergraduate programme in Human Resource Management, MA in Human Resource Management and MSc in Management Consulting. In addition to lecturing and teaching responsibilities Mark is also a personal tutor and dissertation supervisor.
Mark Butterick MA, AIIRSM, PRINCE2, Tech IOSH, CFIPD, FHEA, FCMI