Dr Gerard Looker
- Position: Lecturer in HRM and Employment Relations
- Areas of expertise: Employment and Industrial Relations, Trade Unions, Human Resource Management, Comparative International HRM, Employment Law
- Email: G.Looker@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1708
- Location: 11.2 26 Lyddon Terrace
Gerry has worked for the largest trade unions in the UK as a Senior Negotiator and Organiser and is a member of the Employment Tribunal for Central East.
Gerry's research interests are in trade union bureaucracy and renewal.
Looker, G., 2019. Union Organising and Full‐time Officers: Acquiescence and Resistance. Industrial Relations Journal, 50(5-6), pp.517-531.
- Module Leader in Organisational Theory
- Teaching Employment Relations and Contemporary HRM
- Head of Year One BA in HRM
My specific research interest is in trade union bureaucracy, union renewal and how this impacts and is impacted by employment and industrial relations. I am working on a paper considering the impact of public service reorganisation on public sector unionism.
- 2015 PhD Industrial Relations, De Montfort University
- 1999 MA Comparative Labour Studies, University of Warwick
- 1995 BSc Hons Social Sciences, Open University
- British Universities Industrial Relations Association
My role at the University involves teaching on HRM and employment relations modules. I also support the Business School curriculum for the CIPD.