Dr Isla Kapasi
- Position: Lecturer in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Areas of expertise: entrepreneurship; critical management studies; motivation; poverty; home-based business; microbusiness
- Email: I.Kapasi@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2611
- Location: G.26 Charles Thackrah
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Isla Kapasi is a Lecturer in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship at the University of Leeds, UK. She earned her PhD examining why individuals pursue entrepreneurship in a home-based context. Her current research concentrates on entrepreneurship and the experiences of poverty, and resource use by microbusinesses. Her scholarship has been published in International Small Business Journal, Journal of Business Venturing Insights, and Journal of Small Business Management. She has received research funding from BA Leverhulme and the Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
With a background in self-employment, and the public, private and third sectors, Dr Kapasi uses her diverse experience to integrate the work of academics with policy and practice in the field of enterprise and entrepreneurship. She leads the Practice & Impact special interest group for the Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE). She mentors high growth firms operating across Scotland along with several charitable, social enterprise and public sector organisations. Dr Kapasi teaches enterprise and entrepreneurship across the UK and Europe. She is a certified Team Academy Coach and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My current research interests include motivations for entrepreneurship, poverty, home-based business, and critical entrepreneurship studies.
- PhD in Management
- MRes in Research Methods
- MSc in Business Management with Entrepreneurship
- BA (Hons) Arts
- Academy of Management
- European Group of Organization Studies
- Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
In session 2020-21 I am module leader/teaching on:
LUBS5963M Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Creation (Semester 1)
LUBS5526M Global Perspectives on Enterprise (Semester 2)
LUBS5531M Critical Entrepreneurship Studies (Semester 2)
LUBS5954M Critically Assessing Research (Semester 2)
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Studies