Dr Hanna Gajewska-De Mattos
- Position: Associate Professor in International Management
- Areas of expertise: Cultural difference and cross-cultural interaction; Language in international business; Qualitative research methods.
- Email: H.GajewskaDeMattos@lubs.leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4668
- Location: 1.07 20 Cromer Terrace
Dr Hanna Gajewska-De Mattos received her PhD in International Business from the University of Leeds. Her key area of research expertise is cultural difference and cross-cultural interaction in international business. She is also interested in qualitative research methods. She published her work in top international journals and she received the 2018 Emerging Markets Inspiration Conference Distinguished Scholar Award from the Stockholm Business School. Dr Gajewska-De Mattos is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and she is a recipient of numerous teaching excellence awards including the Leeds University Teaching Fellowship and Best Supervisor Partnership Award. During her academic career she undertook a number of academic leadership roles including Divisional Director of Studies and Divisional Director of Student Education. She previously worked in the European Commission in Directorate General for Research in Brussels and she was an independent expert evaluator on a number of framework programmes in the European Commission.
Dr Hanna Gajewska-De Mattos specialises in cultural difference and cross-cultural interaction in international business (IB). In her research she examines conceptualisation of culture and cultural difference and in particular the human processes and emotions in cross-cultural interaction (drawing on social anthropology and social psychology) and the role of language in international business. She is also interested in refining and developing the rigour and reach of qualitative research methodologies in international business. She published her work in top international journals including Human Relations, Journal of World Business, International Business Review and Management International Review.
Research Excellence Awards
The 2018 Emerging Markets Inspiration Conference (EMIC) Distinguished Scholar Award, Stockholm Business School, Stockholm University in Sweden (2018)
Supervised PhD Students Awards
- Daniella Fjellstrom, the Neil Hood and Stephen Young prize for the most original new doctoral work at the Academy of International Business (AIB) UK and Ireland Chapter Conference (2010)
- Brandon Charleston, a finalist at the Gunnar Hedlund Award competition for the best PhD thesis in the world in International Business, at the 35th European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference in Valencia, Spain (2009)
Selected Funded Projects
- The Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Business Management Accountancy and Finance (BMAF) Teaching Research and Development Grant: "Development of materials for advanced research methods teaching and learning for postgraduate students in International Business" (with Jeremy Clegg and Eva Alfoldi).
- The Leeds University Business School, Academic Development Fund/Teaching Enhancement and Student Success (ADF/TESS): What makes good teaching materials in international business? (with Jeremy Clegg, Mario Kafouros and Adam Cross)
- The British Academy Small Research Grants: International Mergers and Acquisitions A Comparative Study of Managerial Perceptions in Germany, United Kingdom, and Poland (with Peter Buckley)
- The European Unions Phare ACE 1998 Scholarships Programme: Mergers and Acquisitions in Poland: A Comparison of General Management Perceptions from Poland, Germany, and the UK
- The European Unions Phare ACE 1996 Scholarships Programme: The Influence of the EU Competition Policy on Companies' Strategy Towards Mergers and Acquisitions: A Comparison of General Management Perceptions from Germany, UK, and Poland
- PhD in International Business, University of Leeds
- Postgraduate Diploma in Translation, Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza, Poznan, Poland
- MA in European Studies, Akademia Ekonomiczna, Poznan, Poland
- TEMPUS exchange programme in European Studies, University of Bradford
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Foundation of Management Education
- Academy of International Business
- European Academy of International Business
Dr Hanna Gajewska-De Mattos is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and she graduated from International Teachers Programme. In her teaching she specialises in international and cross-cultural management. She also has got an extensive teaching experience in other international business topics at all levels including Transition Economies in the New International Business Environment; Transnational Corporations in the World Economy; International Business Management; Research Methods for International Business; European Business.
Teaching Exellence Awards
Best Supervisor, Business School Partnership Award (LUBS) (2018)
Deans Award for Teaching Excellence, Leeds University Business School (LUBS) (2016)
Nominated for the Best Feedback Award in the Partnership Awards (2015)
Deans Award for Teaching Excellence, Leeds University Business School (LUBS) (2012)
University Teaching Fellowship, The University of Leeds (2010)