Professor Spencer argues for making work lighter
Professor David Spencer has written a feature article for HR magazine titled ‘A Different Slant: Making light work of the employee experience’.
In the article Professor Spencer argues the rise of AI, hybrid work arrangements and working for societal good makes the case for making work lighter.
He comments: “If work is to meet human needs, it needs to be lightened: reduced in duration and improved in quality”.
The article offers five ideas that are important in advancing the case for lighter work:
- Work is an important independent influence on wellbeing
- The status of leisure as a realm of freedom
- The twin goals of less and better work
- Envisioning different futures of work
- The democratisation of work