- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: platform work; gig economy; employment relations theory; history of employment relations
- Email: S.Joyce1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0778
- Location: G.02 23 Lyddon Terrace
I arrived late to university life, after 25 years working in the newspaper printing industry. I completed my PhD in 2016, entitled Revisiting Shop Stewards and Workplace Bargaining: Opportunities, Resources and Dynamics in Two Case Studies.
I have taught widely in the fields of employment relations and HRM, general management, international relations and politics at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and previously in trade union education.
My main research interest lies in developing understanding of how processes of change take place in work and the regulation of work. My current research is part of a large CERIC project looking at the growth of platform work and the gig economy, including its main drivers and dynamics, the emergence of new practices of management and of worker contestation, and impacts on other, more standard forms of employment. Previous research has looked at national-level employer policy, and at workplace level relations between managers and trade union reps.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change