Dr Kendi Guantai
- Position: Associate Professor and Dean for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Areas of expertise: Corporate Communication and Reputation Management; Public Relations; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; Decolonisation
- Email: V.K.Guantai@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0200
- Location: 1.02 18 Lyddon Terrace
- Website: LinkedIn
I joined the Leeds University Business School (LUBS) for my postgraduate studies in 2005, after seven years in industry. My work experience in that time spanned roles in Export Marketing, Guest Relations, Customer Services and Corporate Communications. Starting out in Kenya’s horticultural industry, I worked in a variety of sectors, including third sector, civil society, hospitality and government.
In 2006, on completion of my Master of Arts in Advertising and Marketing, I was offered a PhD scholarship by the Leeds University Business School. My research explored the emergence and development of various discourses around public sector corruption and how these shape the relationship between inernational donor organisations and donor recipient countries.
Thereafter, I joined the Marketing division at Leeds University Business School as a Senior Teaching Fellow, where I lead modules in Corporate Communication Strategy, Public Relations and Reputation Management.
Remaining an active and committed faculty member of the Business School, I am also University Dean for Equity, Diversity, and Incusion as well as the Decolonising Lead for the Business School.
Besides my teaching, I have held leadership roles in professional and academic organsiations including the International Association for Business Communicators (IABC – EMENA Chair) and the Chartered Asscociation for Business Schools (Race Equalities Action Group – Vice Chair).
- Dean for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Decolonising Lead
- Fellow of the Leeds Institute for Teaching Excellence (LITE)
My research interests are in the areas of strategic Organisational Communication and Reputation Management; Decolonisation; Equity Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
I am also a Fellow of the Leeds Institue for Teaching Excellence researching the role of Authentic Self-Expression and Sense of Belonging in student success.
- PhD - University of Leeds
- MA in Advertising and Marketing - University of Leeds
- BA Hons. Communication (Major) and Community Development (Minor) - Daystar University Kenya
- International Association for Business Communicators
- Chartered Institute for Public Relations
I design, manage and teach postgraduate modules in the areas of Corporate Communication, Public Relations and Reputation Management.