Chan Yung Chun (YOUNG, Yung)
- Email: email@example.com
- Thesis title: Team Effectiveness in the Digital Era: Exploring Dynamics of Hybrid Teamwork for Creative and Complex Tasks Through Team Communication
- Supervisors: Dr Mark Robinson, Dr Helen Hughes
I have a background in the profession for facilitating human growth, specializing in guidance and counselling. In the five-year undergraduate period, I fortunately grasped the opportunities to be a school guidance teacher, counselling psychologist, psychological assessment professional, and social worker, and also exchanged abroad for a year. These experiences promoted me to be an open-minded, appreciative, and contributing person. Afterwards and holding the practical perspectives in mind, I attempted to focus on the influential issue: work-life human well-being and effectiveness. I studied human resource and industrial relations in University of Manchester. Through the learning, I found my background can benefit my study especially in the domain of human behavior. Thus, I decided to contribute more in the area of human behavior in business settings.
My aims are to apply scientific research outcomes to facilitate human development and to extend people's understanding of human life from diverse perspectives (Interdisciplinarity). My expertise is generally on interdisciplinary human behavior regarding business and consumption, creativity and innovation, collaboration and teamwork, coaching and counselling, and human resource development and management.
Regarding some experiences of research, I have studied emotions in online communication situations using emoji. I have reviewed and designed measurement tool for core concepts in collaboration concerning team dynamics. I am recently reviewed team emergence phenomena and conflict issues. My PhD concentrates on team effectiveness in the digital era: exploring dynamics of hybrid working teams for creative and complex tasks through team communication.
Broadly, I am interested in interdisciplinary human behavior regarding business and consumption, creativity and innovation, collaboration and teamwork, coaching and counselling, and human resource development and management.
1. Collaboration and teamwork. Dynamic perspectives with detailed information in team processes, especially in behavior, communication, and interactions in innovative and uncertain conditions.
2. Technology and teamwork. Hybrid teamwork (virtual, remote, distance teams, telecommuting, technology-mediated communication, work from anywhere, and telework). Scrutinizing different team setting, team composition, team tasks, technology use, different technologies (augmented reality, remote control, simulation, and automation), and teamwork behavior.
3. Creativity and innovation. From individual cognitive creativity to team level social and cognitive innovation. The methods for teams to deal with creative and complex problems.
4. Communication. Dynamics and processes. Communication content, information sharing, knowledge elaboration, linguistic features, communication rhythms, timing, sequences, and recurrence.
5. Advanced latent variable analysis, multilevel analysis, and structural equation modeling. My previous lead teacher was a psychological testing expert, who taught me structure equation modeling (SEM). Fortunately, I learnt SEM and ideas of multilevel modeling during undergraduate. I recently consider the application of multilevel structural equation modeling and dynamic structural equation modeling.
6. Qualitative research. According to my counselling psychology and social work background, I appreciate the abundant information in qualitative research with detailed transcript and record data. These data can be compared, reexamined, reconceptualized by various methods from different perspectives for extending the possibility.
7. Recently, I am developing skills in computational communication and interaction analysis tools assisting language analysis.
8. Recently, I am developing skills in social network analysis for analyzing human relations and behavior.
9. Recently, I am developing skills in machine learning (weka, python) for exploring huge dataset.
- BEd: Guidance and Counselling, Community guidance and counselling
- MSc: International human resource management and comparative industrial relations
- MBPsS: graduate membership in British Psychological Society
Research groups and institutes
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre