Dr Barnali Basak
- Position: Lecturer in Economics (Teaching and Scholarship)
- Areas of expertise: Development Economics; Labour Economics; Applied Microeconomics; Advanced Mathematics and Statistics.
- Email: B.Basak@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4390
- Location: Room 2.04, Lyddon Terrace
- Website: My webpage | CV | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
In my earlier teaching career, I was a Teaching Associate at the Department of Economics, University of Manchester from September - December 2021. As a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, I was engaged in a Kenya based research project in the Department of Economics and Marketing at De Montford University (DMU) during 2000-2021. I obtained a PhD in Economics in 2020 from the Department of Economics, University of Sussex through an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) studentship. I specialise in the field of Development Economics and Labour Economics.
My research interest lies in causal inferences. I have researched on child education and child health; fertility impact on female labour market outcomes; and well-being of slums dwelling households belonging to disadvantaged groups (such as Scheduled Caste, Schedule Tribe and Other Backward Class), especially in the context of India. I have also researched on child marriage and teenage pregnancy in the context of Sub-Saharan Africa. I have experience in field survey. My empirical research incorporates both secondary and primary household surveys.
- PhD in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Sussex, 2016–2020
- MSc in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Sussex, UK, 2015
- MPhil in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India, 2005
- MSc in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India, 2002
- BSc (Hons.) in Economics, Department of Economics, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India, 2000
I teach both undergraduate and international foundation courses in economics. At the undergraduate level, I teach a module on mathematics and statistics for economics and business. At the international foundation level, I teach a module on foundations of economics.