M.Eng (Product Design and Development) Queens University Belfast
Ph.D. (“Multi-Criteria Decision-Making in Whole Process Design” – Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials) Newcastle University
Before joining the University of Leeds as a Lecturer in Business Analytics and Decision Science, Dr. Richard Edgar Hodgett worked in industry as an Innovation Specialist developing an electronic toolkit that is now used by some of the world’s leading companies in the pharmaceutical and speciality chemical sectors. Prior to this Richard worked as a Research Associate at Newcastle University where he developed a software tool for analysing complex decision problems in whole process design.
Richard was awarded his Ph.D. from Newcastle University in early 2013. He had previously attained a M.Eng. in Product Design and Development at Queens University Belfast where he had the chance to work for an automotive design company in Belgrade (Serbia) and an industrial design company in Gothenburg (Sweden).
Dr. Richard E. Hodgett is a multi-disciplinary researcher who is interested in multi-criteria decision-making, multi-objective optimisation, methods and techniques for handling uncertainty, predictive modelling and analytical methods. He is currently working on a number of different projects, a few of which are listed below:
· Richard is working alongside Prof. Barbara Summers and Dr. Sajid Siraj on a InnovateUK/ESRC funded Knowledge Transfer Partnership in collaboration with a successful music label. The aim of the project is to develop a system utilising machine learning, artificial intelligence and decision science methodologies to support and enhance the identification of new musical talent and maximise the profitability of the talent identification process.
· Richard is working alongside Prof. Alan Pearman and a number of industrial partners including Britest Ltd, INEOS, A.Spire, Iris and CRIT-Research on a €499,369 2 year EU funded project titled “Setting the framework for the enhanced impact of SPIRE projects”.
· Richard is working alongside Dr. Frederique Ponchel on supervising a number of doctoral projects that investigate the molecular and cellular events that trigger the development of immune mediated inflammatory diseases.
· Richard is working alongside Dr. Iain Clacher and Dr. Simon McNair with AON to investigate trustee, fund manager and consultant relationships.
· Richard is working alongside Dr. Sajid Siraj to develop new methodologies which can be used to visualise uncertainty in complex real-world decision problems.
Dr. Richard E. Hodgett specialises in teaching analytics, decision analysis and data science. At present, he leads two masters level modules (Business Analytics and Decision Science & Forecasting and Advanced Business Analytics) and one second year undergraduate level module (Advanced Analytical Modules). All of these modules provide an understanding of the key concepts and theories but also provide the necessary skills to use these in practice. Richard supports the use of blended learning, teaching the majority of his seminars in computer clusters where the students learn from Richard, the course materials and fellow students.
Richard designs and leads bespoke courses for people and groups in industry and regularly teaches classes on analytical content for the Consumer Data Research Centre. He is also writing a new textbook with Dr. Sajid Siraj on how to model and analyse decisions aimed at undergraduate/postgraduate students and industrial professionals.
Richard holds a Newcastle Teaching Award and is an associate of the higher education academy.
Lecturer in Business Analytics and Decision Science
A. Burska, J. Neilan, R. Chisman, R. Pitaksalee, Richard E. Hodgett, H. Marzo-Ortega, P. Conaghan, R. West, P. Emery (2017). Serum IL-7 as diagnostic biomarker for Rheumatoid Arthritis: validation with EULAR-2010 classification criteria. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology [IF: 2.634].
Sébastien Bigaret, Richard E. Hodgett, Patrick Meyer, Tatiana Mironova, Alexandru-Liviu Olteanu (2017). Supporting the Multi-Criteria Decision Aiding process: R and the MCDA package. EURO Journal on Decision Processes. DOI: 10.1007/s40070-017-0064-1.
Richard E. Hodgett (2016). Comparison of multi-criteria decision-making methods for equipment selection. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology [IF: 2.209]. Volume 85, Issue 5–8, 1145–1157.
Richard E. Hodgett, Elaine B. Martin, Gary Montague, Mark Talford (2014). Handling uncertain decisions in whole process design. Production Planning & Control [IF: 2.369]. Volume 25, Issue 12, 1028-1038.
Richard E. Hodgett (2013). Multi-criteria decision-making in whole process design. PhD Thesis, Newcastle University. https://theses.ncl.ac.uk/dspace/handle/10443/1838