Make friends, experience another culture and have fun. Choose from places including the USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan and countries in Europe. All of our students have the opportunity to do this, so make sure you take yours.
What's in it for me?
- The opportunity to live in another culture, meet new people and see new places
- The chance to show potential employers that you are capable, independent and that you rise to a challenge
- Improved confidence and communication skills
- A year of adventure you might never get another chance to experience
Gordon O'Neill Year Abroad Student
Taking a year abroad is a fantastic opportunity to experience life in another part of the world. It is definitely worth taking the risk, diving in at the deep end, getting involved and having the best year of your life.
Where can I go?
You can choose to study at a University within the following countries:
Visit Leeds study abroad to find out more about possible destinations.
What do I need to know?
- You decide whether you want to study abroad in your second year. If you decide to do this, your year abroad will be your third year and you will transfer to a four year version of your degree programme.
- To qualify for a year abroad you must pass all year 1 modules with an average of 60+
- You will maintain an online log throughout the year abroad and take a number of credits of academic study at the partner University.
- Upon successful completion of the year abroad, the word ‘International’ will be appended to your degree title.
- Your marks abroad won’t affect your degree classification, only the title of your degree.
What will it cost?
- If you are a member of the EU and you complete an Erasmus exchange (within Europe) no tuition fees are payable and you will also be eligible for an Erasmus grant.
- International exchange students pay reduced fees to Leeds, but do not pay any fees to the partner institution.
- The Study Abroad Office has up-to-date lists of all the partner institutions, and information on the cost of living in participating countries.
- You will be eligible to continue to receive any student loan to which you are normally entitled. Some LEAs give extra help in the form of airline tickets and/or health insurance.