To give you an idea of the diversity of our community and the breadth of research study currently taking place in the Business School we have listed some of our current postgraduate researchers and their working research areas below.
- Accounting and Finance
- The impact of the global financial crisis on the capital structure, cash holdings, financial and market performance in American and Saudi Arabian firms.
- Readability of accounts and auditing.
- The relationship between internal control systems and the auditor's report: a field study in the Big Four audit firms.
- Momentum profits, market volatility, volatility and skewness.
Boon Ping Hong
- Credit rationing: evidence from UK SME's.
- Asset Growth and stock returns in China.
- Shadow of imperialism: the post-colonical development of the 'true and fair view' accounting concept in Asia.
- High frequency and algorithmic trades and price discovery: Foreign exchange markets.
- Behavioural Corporate Finance: Irrational Managers.
- The determinants of auditor switching and auditor opinions in the UK in a large panel setting.
- Modelling financial distress and the importance of non-financial information.
- Testing the difference on the impact of dividend changes on low and high beta stocks
Hala Ismail Abdelrahim Zaidan
- The relationship between corporate governance and corporate audit fees: the case of an emerging economy.
Diana Abdul Wahab
- Using data analytics to assess Malaysian graduates' employability.
- The endogenous money theory in the open economy and Turkish case.
- Individual participation of British employees and individual incentives: does fairness make a difference?
- The Theory of the Monetary Circuit in a Financialised Economy.
- The effects of corruption and access to finance in eveloping and transition economies on firm-level productivity.
- A study into whether banks display myopic tendencies when setting interest rates by excessivley discounting the future costs of inflation.
Bianca De Souza Lima Orsi
- The efficiency of monetary policy and capital controls: an empirical study of Brazilian exchange rate.
- The dynamics of foreign direct investment and economic growth in sub-saharan african countries; the role of financial markets.
- Poverty reduction programme in the light of capability approach: a case study of Nigeria.
- Hegemonic stability theory revisited: the case of Germany and the EU.
Albertus Kurniadi Hendartono
- Achieving country resiliency under global volatility: Does macro-policy coordination matter in coping with external shock?
- Economic and monetary union: an analysis of the proposal of the economic community of West African States (ECOWAS).
- Economic bubbles throughout history and possible implications for today’s economy.
- Financialization and current account impacts on distribution and demand.
- The effects of external debt on Nigeria's economic growth; impacts on physical and human capital accumulation.
Jose Lima Velazquez
- An empirical evaluation of the effects of the Mexican labour market flexibility reform on unemployment, labour informality and income inequality.
Danielle Oliveira Santanna
- Financialization of the Brazilian economy and its social effects – an empirical assessment.
- The Comparative Contributions of Macroeconomic Policies to the 2008 Financial crisis in the US and the Euro zone crisis.
- Minsky’s financial instability hypothesis, emotional finance and experimental psychology: a new theoretical framework and policy implications.
- Ecological macroeconomics: exploring the foundations of an alternative macroeconomic framework for sustainability.
- The role of financialization and the shift to shadow banking in the global and Euro-zone crisis from a post-Keynesian perspective.
- Better indicators of financial stability and economic convergence within the European Monetrary Union.
- The Bundesbank and the Eurozone: history, effects and responses to the financial crisis.
- European sovereign debt crisis through different schools of economic thought.
- Wealth of nations? An investigation into the determinants of wealth distribution in high-income countries and its impact on financial distress among households.
- International Business
- British multinational enterprises in emerging economies: subsidiaries, business networks, and competence creating initiatives.
Ibharojie Lilian Anegbe
- The Impact of Firm-Specific Assets on Cross-Border Acquisitions by Emerging Market Firms - Evidence from China.
- Factors affecting the performance of Polish entrepreneurial firms. The role of entrepreneurial characteristics, immigrant skills and returnee entrepreneurs.
- Chinese marketing seeking and efficiency seeking OFDI in Africa: Evidence from manufacturing industry.
Randolph (Randy) Fowler
- The Influence of Regulatory Foci on Strategic Decisions: Implications for Shifts in Corporate Power Coalitions.
- The relevance of home country institutions in the internationalization process of Thai firms: A combined perspective of institutional and resource based views.
- Analysing the holistic impact of International Business via Value Chain Analysis - A Case of Small Island Developing states (SIDS).
- The performance of Chinese cross-border mergers and acquisitions in industrialized countries and the role of government support.
- The analysis of herd behavior of Chinese firms in international investment.
- Globalisation in higher education: developing paradigms from globalisation in manufacturing and service industries.
- Reverse knowledge transfer.
- Study the Chinese private-owned companies' investments and operations in the Anglo American economy. An observation of how the Chinese cultural affects the investment patterns and the daily business operations.
- Location advantages and subsidiary evolution: an institutional perspective.
- Examining the effect of reverse technology spillover from outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) in Chinese high-technology sectors: The case of Chinese electronic MNEs.
Rafidah Abdul Rahman
- Technology entrepreneurship and organizational innovation amongst technology based small medium enterprises (SMEs) towards sustainable business growth and performance.
- The story of career conversations: A narrative study of middle managers' career decision processes.
- Unexpected natural disasters: opportunity utilization and crisis alleviation within a development of strategic management model.
- The role of knowledge management in SMEs in the UK and how it impacts on the the information system and performance.
- Exploratory case study on entrepreneurship in Kuwait.
- Corporate social responsibility and strategic typologies:inquiry into organisation and industry interpretation of and response to environmental stimuli.
- The role of leadership in managing organizational change in the context of academic accreditation in the higher education sector in KSA.
- How does participating in social media financially affect small businesses? - An empirical investigation.
Sofia Angelidou (Stanbridge Scholar)
- Entrepreneurial orientation, adaptive capabilities, competitve advantage and new product performance.
- The influence of task and time on information behaviour in organizations.
- Impact of ICT in managing health and safety in the workplace.
- Accommodating new values, expectations and attitudes in the workplace: developing a job design framework for Generation Y.
- How do British universities try to meet the EUROPE 2020 - Innovation Union requirements? Universities' management & industry-affiliations: Is Humboldt dead?
- Sustainability and behaviour change.
- Understanding crowd behaviours: developing a systems framework for analysing crowd events.
- Employees justice perceptions to performance appraisal systems in the private and public sector.
- Socio-technical systems within the music event industry.
- Innovation processes in the utility sector.
- Police use of social media to support engagement with the community: information sharing and decision making.
- Open innovation at the fuzzy front end.
- The influence of ethical leadership on organisation citizenship behaviour: the moderating role of emotional labour and mediating and moderating role of affective commitment.
- Constructing and deconstructing leadership in sub-saharan Africa SSA: A case study of Cameroon and Nigeria
- The mediating role of technology on information behavior and decision-making in uncertain, time-pressured contexts: an activity theory perspective of emergency paramedics.
- Unlearning old and learning new organizational routines to share and exploit engineering knowledge across a global company.
- Talent management: a gendered approach?
- The impact of information systems on the role of trust in facilitating de-centralised decision making.
- Strategic offshore wind supply chain cost reduction.
- Internal representation in decision-making: Errors in spatial schematic representation of numbers as an explanation for 'irrational' decisions.
- The role of social networks in the crafting of jobs and careers.
- Growth strategies in SMEs: An exploratory study of a micro-firm in the design industry.
- Mindfulness and/as agency in the higher educational environment.
- Exploring the relationship between CEO personality and dynamic capabilities within the firm.
- The role of loss-framing and reference point/s on consumer’s perceptions of energy consumption and savings potential.
- Enhancing managerial-subordinate relationship by an exploration of cognitive styles.
- Examining HRM practices supporting the selection and development of multinational teams through the lens of social identity theory.
- Securing long-term behaviour change: applying the latest communications and behavioural economic theory to improve the effectiveness of interventions.
- Balancing knowledge exploration and exploitation: balancing knowledge exploration and exploitation: consequences for organizational learning, innovation and firm performance.
- An empirical investigation of the collaborative job crafting behaviours of the teams.
- Towards a resilience based view of the firm.
- Expatriate’s sensitivity Influencing knowledge sharing that can increase performance among local employees.
- Factors influencing the success of a process-orientated implementation of knowledge management solutions in an industrial organisation.
- The use of new technology and exploitation of online social media in Africa: barriers and opportunities.
- Analysis of decision making processes in the field of organically produced food.
- Corporate Resillience: striving towards understanding and improving the resilience of utility and transport companies.
- What will be the impact of the FFES programme on its various users, in terms of the processes they use, their roles and working practices and what does this mean for their continuing professional development?
- Ongoing wellbeing - evidencing the benefits of improving employee wellbeing on organisational performance.
- The relationship between perceived police legitimacy and positive, self-regulatory behaviours in crowds.
- Can regionally focused funding really make regional SMEs innovate?
- Overcoming difficulties during the start-up stage of youth entrepreneurship in Malaysia: A case study.
- Information behaviour in construction project management teams: contradictions, motivations and influencing factors.
Santiago Garcia Rodriguez
- Visualization style preference and decision making.
David Chavez Saez
- The Union of South American nations - UNASUR. Providing substance to multilateralism. A Regional Nuance to the Global CSR Framework.
- Together or apart? Modelling the inter-agency workings of emergency response multi team systems.
- Environmental Issues and challenges of small and Medium enterprises (SMEs) in India and UK.
- Prosocial job crafting.
- Developing an analytic-deliberative method for determining acceptable resolutions to social, economic and environmental issues facing prospective oil producing communities in northern Nigeria: lessons from the Niger Delta Region.
- Aspiring social entrepreneurs: how leaders influence social innovation through the formation and evolution of social enterprises in healthcare.
- A comparative case study: how to devise and develop a strategic approach for an online MBA that would be suitable for a Russell Group Business School in the UK.
- Applying real options in investment decision-making under various sources of uncertainty related to energy sector in the EU market.
- How do customer satisfaction measures in English Housing Associations influence service performance
- The process of decision making and emotional consequences throughout the compulsive buyers shopping experience.
Lionel Zayeh Kooktapeh
- The business impact of social media strategies: getting closer to your customer using social media.
Rahida Abdul Rahman
- Antecedents and outcomes of socially responsible marketing strategy: A political economy perspective.
- Exploring the meaning of nostalgia associated with place.
- Consumer involvement with the advertised product and the effectiveness of advertising in a hypermedia computer-mediated environment.
- Consumer attitude towards locally manufactured products in developing countries: Zambia as a case study.
- The effect of the interplay between entrepreneurial opportunity process, firm capabilities and the environment on entrepreneurial venture performance.
- Antecedents and outcomes of socially responsible supply chains.
- Towards a zero emissions car industry -marketing and branding strategies to overcome customer resistance
- Possessing or Experiencing: The role of message framing in influencing consumers' responses to access-based consumption.
- To leave or not to leave ... a study of firms' relationship continuity intention, in asymmetric trust/commitment relationships
- Comparing CSR: the role of institutional diversity – a varieties-of-capitalism perspective.
- Resource availability and sustainability performance: evidence from emerging market entrepreneurial firms.
Joao Pedro Pereira Luzio
- Drivers and outcomes of green innovation.
- A comparative investigation of British and Indian Muslim consumers' animosity towards US made product/brands.
- The power of stories to shape consumer experience: to measure the degree to which archetype based brand narratives provide and experiential dimension to a material possession in the UK hand knitting yarn industry.
- A cross-cultural examination of environmentally friendly product intentions using extensions of technology acceptance model and the theory of planned behaviour.
- Advertising in Ghana's open air market places.
- Work and Employment
- Manpower development in the healthcare sector in KSA in light of organizational excellence
- State intervention, localisation and HRM: The case of large manufacturing firms in Saudi Arabia
- Workplace stress. Is prevention better than cure? Looking at primary organisational interventions.
- Talent management and the ageing workforce. Can organisations sustain competitive advantage via facilitating knowledge transfer from older to younger workers?
- Proletarianisation and crisis: class dynamics in the UK and the end of the long twentieth century.
- Getting learning into the bargain: Examining arrangements in the union-employer dialogue on learning and skills in the UK
- Re-doing gender? The effects of job loss on lower-income, dual-earner couples.
- HRM practices in the Indian multinational companies in the UK.
- Assessing the United Kingdom Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) settlement process.
- Danger ahead? Workplace health and safety under inspection. The impact of government policy and funding cuts on the role of enforcement authorities.
- Employment consquences of sectorial reforms, restructuring, liberalisation, and on-going privatization in developing countries: A study of the power sector reform.
- The impact of contemporary governmental policy on healthcare in the public sector.
- Managing training: workplace learning and skills diversity across UK biotech high skills ecosystems during economic downturn
- Talent Management in Malawian Universities: Practices, Challenges and Prospects.
- A critical examination of diversity and leadership progression in small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- The interactions of economic and patriarchal relations in women's employment in Bangladesh's export-oriented garment industry.
- To what extent are organisational redundancy practices effective and promoted through EU level initiatives in an age of austerity.
- Employee silence and human resource management.
- Consultants as catalysts for CSR logics: the role of agency or institutional entrepreneurship in the development of CSR as an area of practice.
- A framework for management of organisational change within local authorities.
- Employment challenges faced by second generation British Pakistanis and why they work as taxi drivers.
- Disability discrimination and the recruitment process: responding to legal and technological developments.
- Business strategies for legal service providers.
- Comparing employers' response to employees' changes in job satisfaction factors during the economic recession between UK and China.
- The impact of the economic crisis on skills formation in British small and medium sized companies.
- The efficacy of Trade Unions responses to non-standard forms of employment.
- The effectiveness of neighbourhood based anti-poverty programmes.