To give you an idea of the diversity of our community and the breadth of research study currently taking place in the Business School we have listed some of our current postgraduate researchers and their working research areas below.
- Accounting and Finance
- The impact of the global financial crisis on the capital structure, cash holdings, financial and market performance in American and Saudi Arabian firms.
- The relationship between internal control systems and the auditor's report: a field study in the Big Four audit firms.
- Momentum profits, market volatility, volatility and skewness.
Boon Ping Hong
- Credit rationing: evidence from UK SME's.
- Asset Growth and stock returns in China.
- Shadow of imperialism: the post-colonical development of the 'true and fair view' accounting concept in Asia.
- High frequency and algorithmic trades and price discovery: Foreign exchange markets.
- Behavioural Corporate Finance: Irrational Managers.
- The determinants of auditor switching and auditor opinions in the UK in a large panel setting.
- Testing the difference on the impact of dividend changes on low and high beta stocks
Hala Ismail Abdelrahim Zaidan
- The relationship between corporate governance and corporate audit fees: the case of an emerging economy.
Diana Abdul Wahab
- Using data analytics to assess Malaysian graduates' employability.
- The endogenous money theory in the open economy and Turkish case.
- The Theory of the Monetary Circuit in a Financialised Economy.
- The effects of corruption and access to finance in eveloping and transition economies on firm-level productivity.
- A study into whether banks display myopic tendencies when setting interest rates by excessivley discounting the future costs of inflation.
Bianca De Souza Lima Orsi
- The efficiency of monetary policy and capital controls: an empirical study of Brazilian exchange rate.
- The dynamics of foreign direct investment and economic growth in sub-saharan african countries; the role of financial markets.
- Poverty reduction programme in the light of capability approach: a case study of Nigeria.
- Hegemonic stability theory revisited: the case of Germany and the EU.
Albertus Kurniadi Hendartono
- Achieving country resiliency under global volatility: Does macro-policy coordination matter in coping with external shock?
- Economic bubbles throughout history and possible implications for today’s economy.
- The effects of external debt on Nigeria's economic growth; impacts on physical and human capital accumulation.
Jose Lima Velazquez
- An empirical evaluation of the effects of the Mexican labour market flexibility reform on unemployment, labour informality and income inequality.
Danielle Oliveira Santanna
- Financialization of the Brazilian economy and its social effects – an empirical assessment.
- The Comparative Contributions of Macroeconomic Policies to the 2008 Financial crisis in the US and the Euro zone crisis.
- Minsky’s financial instability hypothesis, emotional finance and experimental psychology: a new theoretical framework and policy implications.
- Ecological macroeconomics: exploring the foundations of an alternative macroeconomic framework for sustainability.
- The role of financialization and the shift to shadow banking in the global and Euro-zone crisis from a post-Keynesian perspective.
- Better indicators of financial stability and economic convergence within the European Monetrary Union.
- The Bundesbank and the Eurozone: history, effects and responses to the financial crisis.
- European sovereign debt crisis through different schools of economic thought.
- Wealth of nations? An investigation into the determinants of wealth distribution in high-income countries and its impact on financial distress among households.
- International Business
- British multinational enterprises in emerging economies: subsidiaries, business networks, and competence creating initiatives.
Ibharojie Lilian Anegbe
- The Impact of Firm-Specific Assets on Cross-Border Acquisitions by Emerging Market Firms - Evidence from China.
- Factors affecting the performance of Polish entrepreneurial firms. The role of entrepreneurial characteristics, immigrant skills and returnee entrepreneurs.
- The role of home-country institutions and firms resources in enhancing the performance of emerging-market MNEs.
- Global Value Chain (GVC) participation and economic upgrading: A developing country perspective.
- The performance of Chinese cross-border mergers and acquisitions in industrialized countries and the role of government support.
- The analysis of herd behavior of Chinese firms in international investment.
- Reverse knowledge transfer.
- Study the Chinese private-owned companies' investments and operations in the Anglo American economy. An observation of how the Chinese cultural affects the investment patterns and the daily business operations.
- Location advantages and subsidiary evolution: an institutional perspective.
- Examining the effect of reverse technology spillover from outward foreign direct investment (OFDI) in Chinese high-technology sectors: The case of Chinese electronic MNEs.
Rafidah Abdul Rahman
- Technology entrepreneurship and organizational innovation amongst technology based small medium enterprises (SMEs) towards sustainable business growth and performance.
- The story of career conversations: A narrative study of middle managers' career decision processes.
- Unexpected natural disasters: opportunity utilization and crisis alleviation within a development of strategic management model.
- The role of knowledge management in SMEs in the UK and how it impacts on the the information
- How does participating in social media financially affect small businesses? - An empirical investigation.
Sofia Angelidou (Stanbridge Scholar)
- Entrepreneurial orientation, adaptive capabilities, competitve advantage and new product performance.
- Impact of ICT in managing health and safety in the workplace.
- “Generation Me”: Understanding the Careers and Work Values of Generation Y
- How do British universities try to meet the EUROPE 2020 - Innovation Union requirements? Universities' management & industry-affiliations: Is Humboldt dead?
- Sustainability and behaviour change.
- Understanding crowd behaviours: developing a systems framework for analysing crowd events.
- Employees justice perceptions to performance appraisal systems in the private and public sector.
- Innovation processes in the utility sector.
- Police use of social media to support engagement with the community: information sharing and decision making.
- The mediating role of technology on information behavior and decision-making in uncertain, time-pressured contexts: an activity theory perspective of emergency paramedics.
- Unlearning old and learning new organizational routines to share and exploit engineering knowledge across a global company.
- Talent management: a gendered approach?
- The impact of information systems on the role of trust in facilitating de-centralised decision making.
- Strategic offshore wind supply chain cost reduction.
- Internal representation in decision-making: Errors in spatial schematic representation of numbers as an explanation for 'irrational' decisions.
- The role of social networks in the crafting of jobs and careers.
- Growth strategies in SMEs: An exploratory study of a micro-firm in the design industry.
- Mindfulness and/as agency in the higher educational environment.
- Exploring the relationship between CEO personality and dynamic capabilities within the firm.
- The role of loss-framing and reference point/s on consumer’s perceptions of energy consumption and savings potential.
- Enhancing managerial-subordinate relationship by an exploration of cognitive styles.
- Examining HRM practices supporting the selection and development of multinational teams through the lens of social identity theory.
- Securing long-term behaviour change: applying the latest communications and behavioural economic theory to improve the effectiveness of interventions.
- Balancing knowledge exploration and exploitation: balancing knowledge exploration and exploitation: consequences for organizational learning, innovation and firm performance.
- Towards a resilience based view of the firm.
- Expatriate’s sensitivity Influencing knowledge sharing that can increase performance among local employees.
- Factors influencing the success of a process-orientated implementation of knowledge management solutions in an industrial organisation.
- The use of new technology and exploitation of online social media in Africa: barriers and opportunities.
- Analysis of decision making processes in the field of organically produced food.
- Corporate Resillience: striving towards understanding and improving the resilience of utility and transport companies.
- What will be the impact of the FFES programme on its various users, in terms of the processes they use, their roles and working practices and what does this mean for their continuing professional development?
- Ongoing wellbeing - evidencing the benefits of improving employee wellbeing on organisational performance.
- The relationship between perceived police legitimacy and positive, self-regulatory behaviours in crowds.
- Overcoming difficulties during the start-up stage of youth entrepreneurship in Malaysia: A case study.
- Information behaviour in construction project management teams: contradictions, motivations and influencing factors.
- Together or apart? Modelling the inter-agency workings of emergency response multi team systems.
- Environmental Issues and challenges of small and Medium enterprises (SMEs) in India and UK.
- Prosocial job crafting.
- Developing an analytic-deliberative method for determining acceptable resolutions to social, economic and environmental issues facing prospective oil producing communities in northern Nigeria: lessons from the Niger Delta Region.
- Aspiring social entrepreneurs: how leaders influence social innovation through the formation and evolution of social enterprises in healthcare.
- A comparative case study: how to devise and develop a strategic approach for an online MBA that would be suitable for a Russell Group Business School in the UK.
- How do customer satisfaction measures in English Housing Associations influence service performance
- The process of decision making and emotional consequences throughout the compulsive buyers shopping experience.
Lionel Zayeh Kooktapeh
- The business impact of social media strategies: getting closer to your customer using social media.
Rahida Abdul Rahman
- Antecedents and outcomes of socially responsible marketing strategy: A political economy perspective.
- Using stakeholder engagement to bridge institutional distance: a market entry strategy
- Nostalgia, generational cohorts, and self-construals
- Drivers, boundary conditions and performance outcomes of competition intensity
- An extended relationship metaphor in strategic alliances: relationship identification and the impact on relationship maintenance behaviours
- A model of entrepreneurial opportunity-seeking behaviour and firms' economic performance
- Love is blind: the effects of competition, brand positioning and emotional brand attachment on new product adoption
- Possessing or experiencing: The role of message framing in influencing consumers' responses to access-based consumption
- Investigation into the impact of corporate language policy on corporate identity and image creation
- Corporate social responsibility within the multinational enterprise subsidiaries in emerging markets
- Resource availability and sustainability performance: evidence from emerging market entrepreneurial firms.
- The effects of green marketing on consumer behaviour towards sustainable development: comparative analysis of Nigeria and the UK
- The impact of internal and external factors on the international pricing strategy adaptation and export performance
Joao Pedro Pereira Luzio
- Marketing management and sustainability: The linking role of innovation
- Drivers and outcomes of ethical marketing strategies of exporting firms in India
- The power of stories to shape consumer experience: To measure the degree to which archetype based brand narratives provide and experiential dimension to a material possession in the UK hand knitting yarn industry
Merve Ulku Turgut
- The challenging role of country of origin and brand image on purchasing decisions: UK and Turkish consumers' evaluations of German goods
Bryan G. Usrey
- The role of product attribute focused framing on environmental product evaluations: The mediating role of self determination
- The Influence of Emotional Intelligence and Job Attitudes on Service Recovery Performance: A Frontline Employee Perspective in the United Kingdom
- Work and Employment
- Manpower development in the healthcare sector in KSA in light of organizational excellence
- State intervention, localisation and HRM: The case of large manufacturing firms in Saudi Arabia
- Workplace stress. Is prevention better than cure? Looking at primary organisational interventions.
- Talent management and the ageing workforce. Can organisations sustain competitive advantage via facilitating knowledge transfer from older to younger workers?
- Proletarianisation and crisis: class dynamics in the UK and the end of the long twentieth century.
- Assessing the United Kingdom Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) settlement process.
- Employment consquences of sectorial reforms, restructuring, liberalisation, and on-going privatization in developing countries: A study of the power sector reform.
- Talent Management in Malawian Universities: Practices, Challenges and Prospects.
- A critical examination of diversity and leadership progression in small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- The interactions of economic and patriarchal relations in women's employment in Bangladesh's export-oriented garment industry.
- To what extent are organisational redundancy practices effective and promoted through EU level initiatives in an age of austerity.
- Employee silence and human resource management.
- Employment challenges faced by second generation British Pakistanis and why they work as taxi drivers.
- Disability discrimination and the recruitment process: responding to legal and technological developments.
- Business strategies for legal service providers.
- Comparing employers' response to employees' changes in job satisfaction factors during the economic recession between UK and China.
- The impact of the economic crisis on skills formation in British small and medium sized companies.