If you are interested in applying to study a PhD or the MA by research at Leeds University Business School you must have met the minimum entry criteria before a research proposal will be considered. If you have any queries please see our frequently asked questions or contact the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates should hold a British Masters degree (or equivalent degree from an overseas university) or an equivalent professional qualification:
- with a minimum average score of 60 percent (or equivalent); and
- in an appropriate academic discipline. Appropriate academic disciplines include those directly related to the subject specialisms of the Business School (accounting and finance, economics, international business, management, marketing and work and employment relations) or providing skill sets which are particularly relevant to the PhD research project (for example, social research methods, linguistics, mathematics, statistics, psychology, etc.)
You should also meet our English language requirements (detailed below).
- MA by Research
You should also meet our English language requirement (detailed below).
English language requirements
On all research degree programmes a pass in an approved test in English is required for applicants whose first language is not English. The approved tests and minimum required scores are detailed below. Please note that test scores are valid for 2 years.
- IELTS. (Academic) Scores of at least 6.0 or more in each section and an overall score of 7.0 are required.
- TOEFL iBT. We require an overall test result of 100 with the following minimum scores required in each of these sections: Listening 21, Reading 21, Speaking 23, Writing 22.
For split-site students, the following English Language requirements apply:
- IELTS. (Academic) Scores of at least 6.5 or more in each section and an overall score of 7.0 are required.
- TOEFL iBT. We require an overall test result of 100 with the following minimum scores required in each of these sections: Listening 22, Reading 22, Speaking 24, Writing 23.
Other English language qualifications are also accepted. For a full list please refer to the acceptable English language qualifications listed in the University admissions policy or contact our Postgraduate Admissions Team for details.
Improve your English at Leeds
Pre-sessional English Language Courses
The University of Leeds Language Centre offers a number of courses to help students develop the necessary English language and academic study skills required for postgraduate research degrees at the Business School.
If your English language score is lower than the above entry requirements, you may be given a conditional offer based on successful completion of a pre-sessional course. The number of weeks required to study will depend on your current IELTS score.
Please contact the University of Leeds Language Centre to find out more and view entry requirements.