Upon previously graduating from LUBS, Afshan went on to build a career in Financial Services, working as a Business Development Manager in the North East of England for a UK Life & Pensions company. Drawing upon the skills developed during her time working in industry, Afshan was inspired to pursue an academic career. Afshan’s first-hand experiences in the workplace, particularly around virtual working have helped inform her research interests. The arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic has further increased the need for better understanding the phenomena of virtual working, making Afshan’s research particularly pertinent as we navigate our way through and adapt to a new way of working.
ESRC 1+3 (2018-2022)
Afshan is keen to engage with Academics and Practitioners surrounding her research on virtual working and technostress. She was invited to present at the annual DOP Conference held in Stratford upon Avon, January 2020 – An Exploration of Challenges Experienced by Individual Members of Virtual Teams.
- Transitioning back to the office. In this episode of the Leeds University Business School’s Research and Innovation Podcast, Afshan Iqbal (Leeds University Business School) and Lucy Gordon (Walker Morris) discuss working from home during the pandemic, and what employers need to think about when transitioning back to the office (July, 2021)
- The future workplace.(Podcast) Afshan Iqbal and Dr Matthew Davis discuss what is meant by working from home and the key considerations around the changing workplace in this episode of Leeds University Business School’s Research and Innovation podcast (July, 2020).
- Future world of work – one year on. Report from Leeds University Business School and Walker Morris (June, 2021)
- The Future Workplace: Working from Home. Network – Alumni Magazine 2020. Issue 16.Leeds University Business School. (March, 2021)
- Future world of work: Business (not as usual). Report from Leeds University Business School and Walker Morris (December, 2020)
- Maximising value from your commercial property – A panel discussion as part of the Walker Morris “Future World of Work” series, exploring how changes to the way we work are opening up opportunities for commercial property development and explaining how planning consent for such development may be easier than you think (February, 2021)
Afshan has experience of both face-to-face and online teaching on the following modules:-
Academic Year 2020/21
- LUBS 2970 – Corporate Social Responsibility
- LUBS 3955 – Leadership in Organisations
Academic Year 2020/21
- PGR Representative for Management Division
- Hybrid workplace
- Technology & technostress in the virtual workplace
- Virtual work
- Work-Life balance
Afshan is a co-investigator on The Future Workplace project.
- BPS Test User: Occupational, Personality & Ability
- MA Social Research (Interdisciplinary) - Distinction
- MSc Management - Distinction
- BSc (Hons) Psychology - 1st Class
Research groups and institutes
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre
- Socio-Technical Centre