- PhD in Management, University of Leeds (due in 2021)
- MBA with Distinction, University of Leeds
- MSc in Organisational Behaviour & HR Mgt., Peking University
- BEng in Computer Engineering, Jilin University
Mingchu is passionate about understanding entrepreneurial challenges in the global setting. His previous works focused on the strategic planning and human resources management in Chinese start-ups companies. Mingchu’s recent research looks at the influence of pre-existing friendship with leaders on followers’ work engagement in small start-up firms. His doctoral project probes the process of start-up leaders’ identity construction and corresponding behaviours with the impact of ongoing friendship with their employees in the UK and China. Being a globalist and cordial international business & management researcher, Mingchu also participates in research projects investigating international knowledge transfer and co-creation, and international entrepreneurship in emerging economies.
How Does Friendship Influence Leader Identity Construction in Entrepreneurial Ventures?
(Keywords: Leadership, Identity, Start-up Management, Social Network, Power Distance)
- Conference Presentation “How Do Pre-existing Friendships Affect the Leader-Follower Relationship and Engagement in Small Start-ups?” European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology (EAWOP). Turin, Italy. May 2019.
- Conference Presentation “Bosses or Buddies: How Do Leaders’ Multi-identities Affect the Development of Start-ups in the UK and China?” Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change (CERIC) Doctoral Conference. Leeds, UK. May 2019.
- Conference Presentation “Colleagues or Buddies: Workplace Identity Management and Beyond” UoL Chinese Leadership Conference. Leeds, UK. Apr. 2019.
- Public Engagement Presentation “Utilising Friendship during Exogenous Shocks”The 15th China Small & Medium Entrepreneurs Annual Meeting (CASME) Beijing, China. Nov. 2020.
- Public Engagement Activity Panelist “The Enterprise Club: Start-up in Leeds” Business and IP Centre. Leeds, UK. Oct. 2019.
- Public Engagement Presentation “Managing Leader Identity in Education Entrepreneurial Ventures” CEO Summit Europe. Edinburgh, UK. Sep. 2019
- Public Engagement Presentation “Start-up Day: Identity and Leadership” Santander. Leeds, UK. Sep. 2019.
- University Research Presentation “Leadership+Friendship: Start-up Sustainability?” Leeds Doctoral Research Night. Leeds, UK. Jan. 2019.
- Academy of Management
- British Academy of Management
- Associate member of European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology (EAWOP)
- Best PhD presentation at the Doctoral Consortium of EAWOP Conference, Turin, Italy. 2019
- Academic Scholarship from the University of Leeds for MBA, 2017
- Lecturer of the Year Award, CUFE Beijing, 2015
Before the MBA and PhD in the UK, Mingchu Wang was a Teaching Fellow at Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE) in Beijing, a national bilingual TV presenter, a columnist, a management & strategy consultant specialising in TMT and education projects, and an education consulting start-up founder and managing partner.
Full CV and References are available on request.
- Vice-President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in the UK (CSSA-UK) 2020-
- President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in Leeds (CSSA-Leeds) 2019-
- Leeds Chinese Ambassador accredited by Leeds City Council
- Board member of Leeds Community Consulting 2018-2020
- Strategy Head of Leeds University Consulting Society 2017-2018
- LUBS5970M MSc Management Dissertation/Project
- LUBS5798M MBA Dissertation/Project
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE Business in Practice
- CUFE Negotiation in Practice
BSc BA BEng modules
- LUBS2020 From Work to Study
- LUBS3390 Innovation Thinking and Practice
- LUBS1170 Introduction to Management
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE American History
- CUFE Global Employment: North America
- CUFE Employability and Career Skills
- CUFE Presentation Basics
- CUFE Understanding Industries
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for International Business at the University of Leeds
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre