- Ph.D. in Management, University of Leeds
- MBA with Distinction, University of Leeds
- MSc in Organisational Behaviour & HR Mgt., Peking University
- BEng in Computer Engineering, Jilin University
- Director of International Network and Strategy Centre (INSC), London
- Lecturer in Management, Central University of Finance and Economics, Beijing
- Founder and Managing Partner at Beijing Beiliweier Consulting Group
- Management and Strategy Consultant at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), Beijing
- Bilingual TV Presenter at China Central Television (CCTV)
Before the MBA and Ph.D. in the UK, Mingchu Wang was a Lecturer at the Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE), a national bilingual TV presenter, a columnist, a management & strategy consultant specializing in TMT and education projects, and an education consulting start-up founder and managing partner.
Full CV and References are available on request.
Mingchu is passionate about understanding entrepreneurial challenges in the global setting. His previous works focused on strategic planning and human resources management in Chinese start-up companies. Mingchu’s recent research looks at the influence of pre-existing friendships with leaders on followers’ work engagement in small start-up firms. His doctoral project probes the process of start-up leaders’ identity construction and corresponding behaviours with the impact of ongoing friendships with their employees in the UK and China.
Being a globalist and cordial international business & management researcher, Mingchu also participates in research projects investigating international knowledge transfer and co-creation, international entrepreneurship in emerging economies, and ESG issues collaborating with academic colleagues and industry practitioners from the UK, US, Germany, China, Australia, Canada, and Japan. Mingchu has three evolving research themes.
- Knowledge Transfer and International Entrepreneurship (International Knowledge Transfer and Social Networks, Transnational Entrepreneurship, and Returnee Entrepreneurship)
- Entrepreneurial Teams (Multi-identities in Entrepreneurial Ventures, Entrepreneurial Team Formation, Employee Recruitment and Retention for Start-ups)
- Management Learning (Entrepreneurial Education and Curriculum Design, Virtual Student Teams, International Student Engagement and Belonging, ESG-related Education)
Bosses or Buddies: How Does Friendship Influence Leader Identity in Entrepreneurial Ventures?
(Keywords: Identity, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Social Network, Power Distance)
- Wang, M., Unsworth, K., Callinan, M. 2022. Bosses or Buddies: How Does Friendship Influence Leader Identity in Entrepreneurial Ventures? Journal of Business Venturing Insights (JBVI) Entrepreneurship Academy. Madrid, Spain. Won the Best Paper Award.
- Wang, M. 2020. Utilizing Friendship during Exogenous Shocks. The 15th China Association of Small & Medium Entrepreneurs Annual Meeting (CASME). Beijing, China.
- Wang, M. and Unsworth, K. 2019. How Do Pre-Existing Friendships Affect the Leader-Follower Relationship and Engagement in Small Start-ups?. 19th Congress of European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology (EAWOP). Turin, Italy. Won the First Prize for Oral Presentation at the EAWOP Doctoral Consortium.
- Wang, M. 2019. Bosses or Buddies: How Do Identity Conflicts Affect Employee Work Engagement in Chinese Start-ups? 2019 Centre for Employment Relations, Innovation and Change (CERIC) Doctoral Conference. Leeds, UK.
- Wang, M. 2019. Keynote Speaker at Leadership and Professional Development Seminar. Colleagues or Buddies: Workplace Identity Management and Beyond. Chinese Leadership Conference. Leeds, UK.
- Wang, M. 2019. The Role of the Co-existence of Leadership and Friendship in Affecting Start-up Sustainability.’ Leeds Doctorate Festival. Leeds, UK.
- “Knowledge Transfer in Higher Education: UK Becomes the Favourite Destination for Chinese Overseas Students” The Celebration Series on the 50th Anniversary of the Establishment of China-UK Ambassadorial Diplomatic Relations. China Global Television Network (CGTN). Mar. 2022 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugtBOR_fmV4
- “Boss or Buddy: The Identity Struggle for Start-up Founders” The 15th World Chinese Entrepreneurs Convention. London, UK. Oct. 2019
- “The Enterprise Club: Start-up in Leeds”. Invited panelist. Business and IP Centre. Leeds, UK. Oct. 2019.
- "Managing Leader Identity in Education Entrepreneurial Ventures" CEO Summit Europe. Edinburgh, UK. Sep. 2019
- "Start-up Day: Identity and Leadership". Invited panelist. Santander Bank. Leeds, UK. Sep. 2019.
- Academy of Management
- British Academy of Management
- European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology (EAWOP)
- Co-founder and Co-organizer of the Management Research Seminar Series (MRSS) @ Leeds
- Associate Fellowship of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- Best Paper Award from the Journal of Business Venturing Insights (JBVI) Entrepreneurship Academy. 2022
- Winner of the Business School Partnership Award for the Global Award. 2022
- Winner of the Business School Partnership Award for the Postgraduate Researchers who Teach or Demonstrate. 2021
- First Prize for Oral Presentation at the Doctoral Consortium of EAWOP Conference, Turin, Italy. 2019
- Academic Scholarship from the University of Leeds for MBA, 2017
- Lecturer of the Year Award, CUFE Beijing, 2015
- Vice-President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in the UK (CSSA-UK)
- President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in Leeds (CSSA-Leeds)
- Leeds Chinese Ambassador accredited by Leeds City Council
- Board member of Leeds Community Consulting 2018-2020
- Strategy Head of Leeds University Consulting Society 2017-2018
- LUBS5970M MSc Management Dissertation/Project
- LUBS5798M MBA Dissertation/Project
- SIB7503 Globalisation and Contemporary Issues in International Business
- BUSI1323 Leadership in Organisations
- BUSI1151 Small Business Development
- BUSI1650 Global Integrative Project
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE Business in Practice
- CUFE Negotiation in Practice
BSc BA BEng modules
- LUBS2020 From Work to Study
- LUBS3390 Innovation Thinking and Practice
- LUBS1170 Introduction to Management
- SIB5003 Strategic Management
- SIB6007 Current Issues in International Business
- BUSI1324 Managing Strategy
- BUSI1719 Future Paths
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE American History
- CUFE Global Employment: North America
- CUFE Employability and Career Skills
- CUFE Presentation Basics
- CUFE Understanding Industries
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for International Business at the University of Leeds
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre