- PhD in Management, University of Leeds (due in 2021)
- MBA with Distinction, University of Leeds
- MSc in Organisational Behaviour & HR Mgt., Peking University
- BEng in Computer Engineering, Jilin University
Mingchu is passionate about understanding entrepreneurial challenges in the global setting. His previous works focused on the strategic planning and human resources management in Chinese start-ups companies. Mingchu’s recent research looks at the influence of pre-existing friendship with leaders on followers’ work engagement in small start-up firms. His doctoral project probes the process of start-up leaders’ identity construction and corresponding behaviours with the impact of ongoing friendship with their employees in the UK and China.
How Does Friendship Influence Leader Identity Construction during Critical Business Events in Start-ups?
(Keywords: Leadership, Identity, Start-up Management, Social Network, Power Distance)
Before the MBA and PhD in the UK, Mingchu Wang was a Teaching Fellow at Central University of Finance and Economics (CUFE) in Beijing, a national bilingual TV presenter, a columnist, an education consulting start-up founder and managing partner.
Full CV and References are available on request.
- Academic Scholarship from the University of Leeds for MBA
- Lecturer of the Year Award 2015, CUFE Beijing
- Academy of Management
- British Academy of Management
- Associate member of European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology
- Vice-President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in the UK (CSSA-UK) 2020-
- President of Chinese Scholars and Students Association in Leeds (CSSA-Leeds) 2019-
- Leeds Chinese Ambassador accredited by Leeds City Council 2019-
- Board member of Leeds Community Consulting 2018-
- Strategy Head of Leeds University Consulting Society 2017-2018
- LUBS5970M MSc Management Dissertation/Project
- LUBS5798M MBA Dissertation/Project
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE Business in Practice
- CUFE Negotiation in Practice
BSc BA BEng modules
- LUBS2020 From Work to Study
- LUBS3390 Innovation Thinking and Practice
- LUBS1170 Introduction to Management
- CUFE Human Resources Management
- CUFE American History
- CUFE Global Employment: North America
- CUFE Employability and Career Skills
- CUFE Presentation Basics
- CUFE Understanding Industries
- Conference Presentation “How Do Pre-existing Friendships Affect the Leader-Follower Relationship and Engagement in Small Start-ups?” European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology. Turin, Italy. May 2019.
- Conference Presentation “Bosses or Buddies: How Do Leaders’ Multi-identities Affect the Development of Start-ups in the UK and China?” CERIC Doctoral Conference. Leeds, UK. May 2019.
- Conference Presentation “Colleagues or Buddies: Workplace Identity Management and Beyond” UoL Chinese Leadership Conference. Leeds, UK. Apr. 2019.
- Public Engagement Activity “The Enterprise Club: Start-up in Leeds” Business and IP Centre. Leeds, UK. Oct. 2019.
- Public Engagement Activity “Start-up Day: Identity and Leadership” Santander Work Cafe. Leeds, UK. Sep. 2019.
- Public Engagement Activity “Leadership+Friendship: Start-up Sustainability?” Leeds Doctoral Research Night. Leeds, UK. Jan. 2019.
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for International Business at the University of Leeds
- Workplace Behaviour Research Centre