- Email: email@example.com
- Thesis title: 'Are Quad-Qualified Directors Effective Board Monitors?'
Nikolas is a PhD Student at the Centre of Advanced Studies in Finance since September 2016. Prior to that, he successfully completed a Master in Economics & Finance at the University of Durham and a Bachelor in Quantitative Economics at the University of Konstanz (Germany). In addition, he has gained professional experience at various companies in Germany, China, Switzerland and Vietnam.
'Are Quad-Qualified Directors Effective Board Monitors?'
In the last two decades, corporate scandals and financial crises have led researchers, practitioners and regulators to focus on the role of the board of directors and how to ensure effective monitoring of companys top management. An extensive body of research examines how certain characteristics among directors help to improve boards monitoring. Such characteristics, which comprise director attributes such as independence, expertise, busyness, and motivation, are mostly investigated in isolation and not as a unified group.
Recently, a boards monitoring effectiveness is seen as a function of ability and motivation. While directors should be independent, a directors experience as well as availability to pursue her tasks accounts for her overall ability. However, a directors ability can only fully come into effect if the director is, at the same time, sufficiently motivated to engage in these tasks. Accordingly, Hambrick, Misangyi and Park (2015, AMR) combine the four board attributes of independence, expertise, busyness and motivation into one theoretical model and suggests future research should test its applicability.
My thesis builds on Hambrick et. al. (2015) and the quad model. Based on a comprehensive sample of director characteristics, employment records, and social network data, the aim is to consolidate previous findings in order to develop an empirical model to test the impact of quad-qualified directors on the ability of boards to execute their monitoring function.
- Strategic Management Society – 39th Annual Conference, Minneapolis, October 2019
- 11th International Accounting & Finance Doctoral Symposium, Bangor, June 2018
- 10th International Accounting & Finance Doctoral Symposium, Warsaw, June 2017
- Best Pitch, 10th International Accounting & Finance Doctoral Symposium, June 2017
- Strategic Leadership
- Corporate Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- MSc Finance (Economics & Finance) - University of Durham, England
- BSc Economics (Quantitative Economics) - Universität Konstanz, Germany
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Advanced Studies in Finance