Dr Emilee Lauran Simmons
- Position: Senior Lecturer (Scholarship) in Entrepreneurship & Pedagogy
- Areas of expertise: Business Pedagogy; Entrepreneurship Pedagogy; Enterprise Education; Entrepreneurship; Scale up; Business Growth; Creativity & Innovation; Social Enterprise; Blended Learning; Global Classrooms
- Email: E.L.Simmons@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4320
- Location: G.25 Charles Thackrah
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn
A doctorate and MBA graduate, with substantial academic and business experience delivered across Higher Education, Creative Industries and Social Enterprises, utilising researched expertise within Entrepreneurship and Business Development. Exemplary communication skills with in-depth knowledge of stakeholder management, change strategies and successful teaching innovations at all levels. Adaptable, with excellent leadership skills and commercial awareness, with a passion for coaching, teaching and research in Active Learning Pedagogies.
2019: Deans Award for Teaching Excellence
- Director of Education for The Centre for Enterprise & Entrepreneurship Studies
Research Interests include:
- Pedagogy, espeically active, experiential and blended learning approaches and techniques
- Entrepreneurship, especially education as well as Business Growth
- Creative & Cultural Industries, in particular Fundraising & Philanthrophy; models of Change; sustainable business models
- Storytelling - in Fundraising & Philanthrophy as well as Entrepreneurship
- MBA (CSR & Entrepreneurship) Leeds University Business School
- PhD (Brand Identity in the Music Industry) University of Leeds
- MSt (Musicology) University of Oxford, St. Cross College
- BM (Music and History) Shenandoah University Conservatory
- Enterprise Educators UK
- Chartered Management Institute
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
I was the Business School's first Director of (Learning) Enhancment where I provided academic leadership and oversight to the pedagogical development of taught programmes parented by the Business School (2015-2019). This included working collaboratively with the senior student education management teams and academics to achieve an excellent student experience, an engaged academic community and continue to have an excellent academic portfolio and accreditation outcomes. As part of this I developed active learning teaching rooms such as G.05 & G.07 and G.29 Charles Thackrah. Furthermore, I was the Director of the Academy of Innovation in Business Education, the business school's first centre for teaching excellence. We worked to shape the culture of teaching and implementing a change management project to radically enhance teaching.
In The Centre for Enterprise and Entreprneurship Studies, I have developed, taught and lead various modules at UG and PG since joining in 2014. These include areas such as New Venture Creation (Business Start up) as well as Creativity & Innovation, Social Enterprise and Contemporary Challenges in Entrepreneurship.
Outside of the Centre I am also one of the academic leads for the PG Certificate in Fundraising & Philanthrophy in the Arts. The PG Cert forms part of a £4million+ grant funded (ACE) programme for Arts, Cultural & Heritage organisations across England. This also includes a residential school as well as other programmes delivered through Arts Fundraising & Philanthrophy. I am also an educational leader on the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Entrepreneurial Women's programme, helping to deliver business growth and scale up support to women business leaders around the world.